Lexa HD 300 spool tension not functioning

Started by the rockfish ninja, September 12, 2019, 12:51:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the rockfish ninja

It's an older reel with a few nautical miles on it but I've kept it working well with regular lubes/cleanings/etc., but I just noticed I can't get it to stop a freespool even if I twist the knob all the way down.

So...

-Is there a quick fix for it?
-Could the inside of the knob be worn down where it contacts the spool shaft?
-Could the end of the spool shaft be worn down?
-Is it worth the time/$/effort to revive the thing?

or....

-Should I just chuck it in the box of old reels with loose spools in the corner, give in the the pangs of G.A.S. and just go shopping? :-\        ...... ;D
Deadly Sebastes assassin.

alantani

shim the cap.  just cut a couple of squares from a soda can.  i'll bet that will work!!!! 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

MarkT

When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

MarkT

Ok, I like going shopping for new reels! A new Lexa HD 300 or TranX 300 would be nice. I also have an old Curado 300 DSV, a few NaCl50's, a Calcutta TE 300 and an old Millionaire CVX-253... maybe more?

The knob on the right sideplate is to reduce the sideplay of the spool, not to control freespool. What is the Mag control on the left sideplate set to? It's to control freespool.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

the rockfish ninja

Quote from: alantani on September 12, 2019, 01:20:27 AM
manners, mark, manners......   ;D

No, that was funny, plus I put this in the wrong section anyway so i deserved it.
I'll give the shim idea a shot otherwise .......... shopping!! ;D

the rockfish ninja

Quote from: MarkT on September 12, 2019, 01:34:41 AM
Ok, I like going shopping for new reels! A new Lexa HD 300 or TranX 300 would be nice. I also have an old Curado 300 DSV, a few NaCl50's, a Calcutta TE 300 and an old Millionaire CVX-253... maybe more?

The knob on the right sideplate is to reduce the sideplay of the spool, not to control freespool. What is the Mag control on the left sideplate set to? It's to control freespool.

The spool tension and cast control work together, the way to zero in the reel is to cinch up the spool tension so the lure/jig stops on a dead drop freespool and back it off from there so it drops slowly, then you adjust the mag control to the wind.

It makes a difference in casting performance.

the rockfish ninja

Quote from: alantani on September 12, 2019, 01:02:12 AM
shim the cap.  just cut a couple of squares from a soda can.  i'll bet that will work!!!! 

Took 4 layers but worked like a charm, THX!!