I'm not much of a striper guy........

Started by the rockfish ninja, September 17, 2019, 08:45:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the rockfish ninja

.... but they're really fun on bass gear.

Went out farting around in the bay the other day with a friend, I don't fish inside much but the Halibut bite was pretty hot so we went around plugging the bay like it was a lake and we were going for largemouths. Run & gun, throw a few lure here, blast over there, try this, etc.

About a dozen or so stripers caught and released between me and a friend, I hooked into halibut six times and landed three of them, kept one apiece, and released the last one. Good fun fighting decent sized fish on light gear.
Deadly Sebastes assassin.

Hardy Boy

Nothing wrong with that at all .......................... looks like fun. I've always wanted to catch a striper.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

festus

I don't know when stripers were first introduced to Tennessee, but I never caught one until the mid-1980s.  They were hitting shad guts and chicken livers while we were chasing eater channel cats.  Thought they were going to rip the guts from my Mitchell 308.  We target them sometimes with 1-1/2 oz bucktails with twistertail trailers in dam tailwaters, they sure are fun.

oc1

Quote from: festus on September 17, 2019, 11:11:31 PM
I don't know when stripers were first introduced to Tennessee,

Here's a table but I'm not sure I believe some of the dates.  One thing for sure, they're very versatile owing to their anadromous nature and they've been put just about everywhere.
https://nas.er.usgs.gov/queries/FactSheet.aspx?speciesID=787

-steve

festus

Quote from: oc1 on September 17, 2019, 11:34:50 PM
Quote from: festus on September 17, 2019, 11:11:31 PM
I don't know when stripers were first introduced to Tennessee,

Here's a table but I'm not sure I believe some of the dates.  One thing for sure, they're very versatile owing to their anadromous nature and they've been put just about everywhere.
https://nas.er.usgs.gov/queries/FactSheet.aspx?speciesID=787

-steve
I agree, looks like the table has some inaccuracies.  Everyone around here was stunned when the U.S. nationwide freshwater record was broken in Melton Hill Lake at the steam plant, a specimen over 60 lbs. caught on a 17 inch skipjack herring.  Didn't take long for that record to be broken from an impoundment in California.

steelfish

looks like fun

what rod and reel were you using?
The Baja Guy

the rockfish ninja

Quote from: steelfish on September 18, 2019, 12:15:54 AM
looks like fun

what rod and reel were you using?

St Croix mojo rod & Lew's Tournament pro, basic freshwater bass stuff. Halibuts were in the 10-15lb range, drag burners on light tackle.

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Ron Jones

Catching bass with bass gear, makes sense to me:)
My biggest was a high 20s guy off the Groton fishing pier. Bunch of guys were snagging bunker, they thought I lost my mind when I broke out the sabiki and fished live bait. Weren't so doubtful when I hooked into that guy.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Benni3

Nice one,,,,,,, :D keep them coming,,,,,,,,, ;D

oc1

I wish I could find it again.  Somewhere there is a description of transporting the first striped bass from the East Coast to the West Coast in milk cans on a train. That's the 1897 record.  As long as the train was moving it went OK.  But if the train stopped then someone had to start shaking those milk cans.  The splashing kept the water aerated.

That's a really nice one Ninja. It looks like it might have some white bass/wiper blood with the broken lines.  California must still be stocking or moving fish around.
-steve

the rockfish ninja

Quote from: oc1 on September 18, 2019, 06:54:55 AM
California must still be stocking or moving fish around.
-steve

Nah, they were planted in the delta and they grow like weeds, have spread up & down the coast too. If any planting is going on it's for freshwater. There actually even has been several calls over the years for eradication of stripers by Salmon & steelhead activists because they are actually an invasive species.

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

El Pescador

Tony!!!  Is that YOU behind the Foster Grants????

You're looking good!!!

What is the reason you didn't keep any of the Striped Bass???  Out of season??

Man, I LUV grilled Striped Bass.

Let's stay in touch and go fishing sometime.

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

wfjord

I catch lots of hybrid stripers in lakes here in the southeast; hadn't heard of them being stocked in saltwater.