Grandpa's Senator 1/0 got serviced

Started by jon_elc, September 28, 2019, 12:26:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jon_elc

Honestly, i was feeling a bit intimidated to use this reel, since it doesn't have a levelwind.  But after a couple of trips out rockfishing with Alan and Ben and Dominick, I started thinking why the hell not.

since i have this style 10-60 star drag, I got this 98-60CC sleeve and ultimate drag kit from mystic parts.

alantani

ah, another trip down the rabbit hole!!!!!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Gfish

No levelwinder's kinda hard to get used to, especially if you go out and start gettin bit on your first trolls or drops.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

mo65

Quote from: alantani on October 26, 2019, 05:55:56 PM
ah, another trip down the rabbit hole!!!!!   ;D

How sweet it is!

If you have a #10-66 drag star they look beastly on the little 1/0...along with a #24-56 power handle. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

jon_elc

getting that dog in place is the trickiest part. i was debating about that 24-56 power handle or a prochallenger eva knob.   Alan, you should never meet my wife again.  ;D

jon_elc

and it's back together.  I got this aluminum handle arm from mystic parts (gotta meet that free shipping limit) which i was thinking to pair with the EVA knob for balance.

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

mo65

Nice 1/0! Yes...the Pro Challenger EVA knob looks great on that handle arm.

Donnyboat

Good Jon, your doing them old reels, justis, with good services & upgrades, they look great love the 1/0, thanks for the pics, I did not relise the 920, are that small, great collection, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

thorhammer

Great work! I was gonna say teh same about the 10-66, but Mike got you on. The 1/0 is a pretty beefy reel for that lil star.

John

jon_elc

i think i should have put the dog spring the other way.  the dog clicks when I crank, but the sound (and pressure?) is softer than i remember.  it's still engaging the sleeve to prevent backwards motion, but it's very quiet. 

mo65

Quote from: jon_elc on October 28, 2019, 08:26:36 PM
i think i should have put the dog spring the other way.  the dog clicks when I crank, but the sound (and pressure?) is softer than i remember.  it's still engaging the sleeve to prevent backwards motion, but it's very quiet. 

That's not uncommon. In order to get a real strong click, straighten the spring and insert it behind the dog. Then wrap it around the post and into it's slot. It has more tension that way.

jon_elc

Quote from: mo65 on October 28, 2019, 11:32:43 PM
Quote from: jon_elc on October 28, 2019, 08:26:36 PM

That's not uncommon. In order to get a real strong click, straighten the spring and insert it behind the dog. Then wrap it around the post and into it's slot. It has more tension that way.

Thanks for tip!  i'll give that a try!

Gfish

A gentle pressure on the dog could be a good thing, as long as it still works. I've seen a few dogs with too much wear, possibly due to excess spring pressure.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

jon_elc

new spacer and knob from ProChallenger...   this bad-boy is ready to fish!