Grandpa's Senator 1/0 got serviced

Started by jon_elc, September 28, 2019, 12:26:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redsetta

Great work Jon - will look forward to some trip reports!
Thanks for sharing the process.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Gfish

Dude, the photo of my main gear on page 1 looks so much flater than the pic. of your gear on page 2...? Optical(camara angle) illusion? The 1/0 Senator should have a 5-60 size main gear. The next common size up, the 5-66, comes in the 2/0 Senator and kinda looks deep like the one on page 2 in yours...?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

jon_elc

maybe if you clean all that brown guck off your gear....  i'm kidding  ;D

i think it's just the angle.  my pic has the 5 stack drag installed, and in my pic, it looks like 3 washers are visible above the gear, which leaves 2 washers inside the gear, so it's pretty flat.  my guess from memory would be about 5/16" total height of the gear itself?

Alto Mare

Cool pics of the reel and your Dad... enjoy that 1/0!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

jon_elc

The reel worked great today, even though it was tough to get a bite and the fish were small.  Fishing with this reel makes me feel more connected to the man I never met, and it makes my mom happy, too.

jon_elc

oh, so I learned something this week.  When you rebuild these old reels, buy and replace the spring washer (tension washer, belleville?).  It's cheap. 

When I was putting this reel back together, there was some pressure that I had to put on it, to compress the bridge into place to place the dog spring in and secure the 4 screws holding the bridge.  and as my last photos show, I did take the reel out for rockfishing.

Obviously, it had enough drag for the day.

Since then, I rebuilt my Grandpa's old squidder, which also needed a new sleeve and so I went ahead and ordered a fine thread SS sleeve and drag star, with a Bryan Young ultimate drag stack.  Since the squidder spring washer was FLAT, I also ordered 3 replacements from Mystic (you know, in case you need one later on).   I put it all back together, but it was weird, the range of drag went from a very slight drag to what i couldn't pull line by hand.   

Compared to this senator 1/0, which was basically free-spooling (for a couple of turns of the drag star) to "i can pull it by hand."  it was like 2x more drag on the squidder. At first, I thought it might be the fine thred sleeve vs. the course thread sleeve on the senator.

So i got my little pea-brain to work this week, and wondered if maybe my original senator spring washer was kinda smooshed like the squidder...  well, tonight I opened up the senator.  pics are kind of meh, but i think you can see there's some flatness to the original washer. the pic on the right is the new spring washer. the senator drag is much higher now...  i should take some pull on my zebco deliar to see how much drag in lbs. (its the only spring scale I have)

jon_elc

AND this might have been an oversight, or my misunderstanding:  I don't think those tension washers are supposed to be greased.. all the tutorials don't specifically mention greasing it: just greasing the drag stack and install the tension washer; dunno why I greased them. ???..  which would/could make that a drag surface, right? so it should be dry tension washers, so that the drag washers are the only lubed and drag surface.   i love getting better at getting that dog spring situated!   

Rancanfish

Can't see it making much of a difference. Except more corrosion resistance.

I'm thinking the drag stack height has some influence.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Donnyboat

Hi Jon, the tension springs go rusty, Alan throws them away, also if you can get a delron washer between the tension sleeve & the star, that helps to turn the star easier, nice reel thanks for posting it, cheers Don
Don, or donnyboat

oc1

You can bend those curved tension springs a bit to give you a longer range of friction.  Maybe one extra revolution of the star between frees-pool and lock-down.  Doing so probably seals your fate though because it destroys some of the temper.  Every time they are bent they loose a little more temper and you loose a little more range in the drag.  Better to add more curved washers until you get the range you want.

When you button down the drag any grease where those curved washers meet is just rubbed or squished to the side.  There's a lot of force on a tiny bit of contact area.
-steve

jon_elc

Thanks guys! Appreciate all your knowledge sharing!