Will Accurate knob fit handle blade?

Started by Toehi, September 28, 2019, 08:02:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toehi

I was going to PM Ted but I figured it's better to post so those who bought blank handle blades and added their own knobs can chime in.  Has anyone used the Accurate rubber power knob on one of  Maxed Out's handle blades?  Linked below:

https://www.accuratefishing.com/shop/accurate-rubber-power-knob-kit-royal-blue/

Any mods (enlarging hole,etc) needed?  These look like direct replacements for Accurate reels so I'm unsure if the mounting screw/post is some weird size.  Thanks!!

JRD

Maybe.  There are two generations at least.  The newer ones have a shaft that is squared on two sides that fits down into a squared hole in the blade.  They will fit but do not look like they are made to be together.  The older style rubber knobs had a shaft made to fit on top of the blades and match perfectly.

Toehi

Thanks for the info!  I want a yellow pair of knobs, I'll see what I can Google-fu up on the earlier gen.

Toehi

After reading up on a bunch of stuff it looks like Accurate offers these knobs in 2 styles, same part number just an A or B to differentiate the type. Problem is I could only find the B styles for sale. I ordered a pair and will update this thread when they get in. I've got access to a drill press, dremmel and bench grinder if I need to mod anything.

Toehi

Knobs are in, perfect size, little bit bigger than Trinidad 50 knobs and comfy in the hand. They have the keyed oblong shafts.  I'm either going to have the keyed section milled down or, even though I hate to do it, file the handle blades to accept the keyed shaft. I think filing might be the better choice as it will allow the shaft to lock in.  I'll get some pics up before I mod anything.

Toehi

Parts came in a few days ago but my 5 month old has demanded all my after work tinkering time. Finally got around to getting some pics.  The screw provided works, but if I can find a pan head replacement at Ace I might go with that. Next step is to figure out if I want to mod the blades to take the keyway of the handle shaft or just grind off the piece. 

JRD

You would probably be worlds ahead just grinding the shaft flat so you don't compromise the anodizing.  You could also call Al at accurate and see if he has a few old style shafts laying around.  Good luck with the build.