Alan What should I do with a new reel?

Started by Phishface, October 02, 2019, 10:25:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phishface

Hi Alan:

What do you do to a new reel before you fish it for the first time? or even before you put line on it for the first time?
If this topic has been covered before Please forgive me, I couldn't find it if it has.
I won a Avet MXL at my club and it's in contention to be my new Salmon trolling reel, probably next year.
How would you get it ready to fish, besides opening it up and blue greasing the inside?

Jerome.

Bryan Young

I would suggest greasing the drag washer with Cal's Universal and Drag Grease.  Brush it on completely covering it and the edges and let it sit so that it soaks in, then wipe off excess.  This is to help protect the spool under the drag washer from corroding?  Since you will be using the reel for trolling, I would probably pack the pinion and spool bearings with blue grease too.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

Grease the drag before exposing the reel to saltwater,  pull the pinion and grease the bore it goes in and then grease the screws when re assembling.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Phishface

Hi Bryan and Keta:

I followed your advice and and greased the drag washer, I was very surprised at how well this reel was greased new from the factory, posting a shot, thank you again for your guidance.

Jerome.

Bryan Young

The side plate and frame internals still look ungreased. I would grease those parts with a thin coat before putting it back together.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

mike1010

Quote from: Keta on October 03, 2019, 02:35:23 AM
Grease the drag before exposing the reel to saltwater,  pull the pinion and grease the bore it goes in and then grease the screws when re assembling.

Is it possible you mean the pinion bearing?

Mike

alantani

it really is best to take them all apart.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

Quote from: mike1010 on October 06, 2019, 06:50:22 PM
Quote from: Keta on October 03, 2019, 02:35:23 AM

Is it possible you mean the pinion bearing?

Mike

No, the bore the bearing goes into.  It will make it easier to remove later.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain