Differences Between 302 and 306 Drag Systems

Started by mo65, October 02, 2019, 10:31:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

I was just wondering which of these two is the preferred. Is one stronger than the other? The 302 appears to be over complicated...where the 306 looks almost lacking...two very different systems. :-\
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

thorhammer

The 302 may well be the most complicated drag ever designed- if you multiply it by the number of these reels produced there is probably no close second in the reel world for spools in parts in coffee cans when the order isn't put back in sync. The 306 is not as robust, or complicated. I use these reels for 20-25 mono and 14-17 mono, respectively. I have many but enjoy the 486/402/406 for speed.

John

Gfish

I've now used/serviced both these reels. Functionally the 302 is far better for me. The drag adjustment range and smoothness is dramatically improved with the 302. Still wonder about the all metal washer design, given that they'er a saltwater specialty reel. Mine's got a very nessassery drag arrangement diagram fixed to the underside of the spool. The coil spring, along with eared and keyed washers(like a  Penn conventional) make it a much better system than that of the 306.
John's right, especially about robustness. Look at the beefy spool spindle on the 302, which screws onto the spool shaft, compared to the 306 in your schamatics.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

festus

The 302 has the most complicated drag system I've ever seen.  It takes some trial and error to get it functioning properly, or at least it did for me.  But once it's right, you'll appreciate it.  Betcha it's frustrated many anglers who encountered it the first time after spilling it out on the sand or floor.  If anyone orders a 302 from ebay or Craigslist, most likely they'll probably be missing a washer or 2 or 3 or find the drag assembly out of order or non-functioning. The 302 is a great reel, but it definitely would not be my first choice for fishing the salt.

mo65

Thanks for the insight fellers. I don't have much to work with here...only have one 406 and I'm not sure its correct. It has a teflon washer added under the spool and another added below the adjustment knob. Kinda looks like someone's custom idea, but it is smooth and has good power. Has anyone ever checked to see what max poundage they got from a 302 or 306?

TRS

Totally agree the 302 may be a step or two past complicated, but it's a great drag.  The 306 is the definition of simple, not sure if it's correct, but the 306 I own has a smaller drag washer than a 300, the only way you could make it more simple is to eliminate it!!
They call it fishing, not catching

mo65

Quote from: TRS on October 10, 2019, 03:16:49 AM
Totally agree the 302 may be a step or two past complicated, but it's a great drag.  The 306 is the definition of simple, not sure if it's correct, but the 306 I own has a smaller drag washer than a 300, the only way you could make it more simple is to eliminate it!!

If there is one thing I've learned about drag systems...looks can be very deceiving. This 306 drag is a prime example. I still don't have a 302 to experiment with, but I've been fiddlin' around with my 406 and it performs great, much the same as many other bare-bones drag systems I've used. Although it appears to be adequate, I have a few ideas to make it even better. 8)

thorhammer

Gfish

Quote from: mo65 on October 10, 2019, 09:33:24 AM
Quote from: TRS on October 10, 2019, 03:16:49 AM

If there is one thing I've learned about drag systems...looks can be very deceiving. This 306 drag is a prime example. I still don't have a 302 to experiment with, but I've been fiddlin' around with my 406 and it performs great, much the same as many other bare-bones drag systems I've used. Although it appears to be adequate, I have a few ideas to make it even better. 8)

Alright. Please let us know what you come up with. I played around with the drag arrangement on my 306, but I probably didn't have the washer material/knoweldge to come up with anything satisfactory.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

TRS

I wonder if you could mill out a recess inside the spool that would allow you to add a drag washer there.  My spools when I take them apart have a grey center section that would hold a nice size drag washer.  Now if I only had a spare spool, and a lathe.

mo65

Quote from: TRS on October 11, 2019, 01:16:29 AM
I wonder if you could mill out a recess inside the spool that would allow you to add a drag washer there. 

It's odd you mention this TRS...this is exactly what I've been pondering. The 306 spool shaft already has a milled recess! I think I can add a thin washer there without upsetting the line lay too bad. You can see how the spool is currently riding on the outer part just by looking at the grease smear. If you look at later 306PRO schematics the spool has washers top and bottom. I have a few ideas for the front of the spool too...hard to tell what might happen here...prolly bust a spool...HA!

akfish

Why can't your just rebuild the 302 drag with carbon fiber drag washers? I'm almost certain I did that several years ago and that 006 060 HT-100s drop in directly. It already enough metal washers, doesn't it?
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

TRS

mo65 good idea, I think I'll cut a drag washer out of some .010 Teflon and see how it works.

Gfish

Quote from: akfish on October 11, 2019, 09:31:19 PM
Why can't your just rebuild the 302 drag with carbon fiber drag washers? I'm almost certain I did that several years ago and that 006 060 HT-100s drop in directly. It already enough metal washers, doesn't it?

Yeah. I did 2 cf's near the bottom on mine, but you could probably fit at least 2 more, by removing the click washer and ar spring as someone else suggested. I kinda like the "click" sound so I left those 2 in mine.

mo65

I've been experimenting with these reels' drag systems. I'm using two mint subjects as my lab rats, so I know my tests aren't tainted by some missing or worn part. Both the 306 and the 302 were decent from the start...bone stock. I modded both with Penn HT-100 drags, a 3-stack in the 302 and carbon fiber top/bottom on the 306. After modding them power didn't increase much, but smoothness went through the roof, especially the 306. Absolutely no start up...no pumping...impressive. The pics show the poundage at max finger tight. Eight pounds for the 306 is perfect for the 30lb. braid on it. Fifteen pounds for the 302 ain't bad for a reel older than me! I'll reveal more about the set ups in upcoming posts. 8)