jigging reels

Started by alantani, March 24, 2009, 02:33:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

Hi Alan, First of all, I would like to thank you for the wonderful tutorials that you have shared with fishing enthusiasts such as my self. They have been helping a lot of people from all over the world.  Speaking of help, I would like to request for your opinion about two reels --- Avet MXJ and Saltist 30T. I am looking for a jigging/trolling reel and these two seems to have the most value for money.  If you are to choose between the two, which one would you recommend?  Thanks again.  Alex

you're welcomed, alex!  now, from the little bit that i know about jigging, i would not recommend either one. the avet s and m series reels are limited to 9 pound of drag at strike if you fish them straight out of the box.  in addition, the right main side plate bearing starts to bind at drag pressures in excess of 9 pounds of drag.  i can hotrod these reels and get you an easy 15 pounds of drag at strike, but there will be so much pressure on the bearing that it will be hard to turn the handle.  you will also eventually ruin the bearing. 

the saltist 30T can deliver an easy 12 pounds of drag with a carbontex upgrade.  drag pressures in excess of 18 pounds exceed the capacity of the anti-reverse roller bearing.  once that happens, the amassaduer-style dog must catch or the handle will fly backwards.  and as the reel ages, the anti-revrse roller bearing starts to weaken.  i have seen them fail at pressures as low as 12 pounds of drag. 

now, it is my understanding that a 15 pound drag setting is the minimum that is required for this type of fishing.  small reels that will deliver this level of performance include the accurate boss series, the penn international torque series, and the near extinct progear classic and albacore series reels.  if you can fish with a smaller reel that has a weaker drag system, or if you can fish with a bigger reel, then you have more options.  if you want the highest power to weight ratio, then your choices are limited.  alan

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!