Japanese slow pitch jigs ....... (USA sources? dealers?)

Started by the rockfish ninja, October 16, 2019, 11:01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the rockfish ninja

I've been all in on this slow pitch jigging trend out of Japan, but I've only had access to the more generic stuff from SavageGear & Shimano. It's working well, but after doing some reading up on it I find that I'm only scratching the surface, and there is a whole other level to the game. I've found some interesting lures from mfgs like Seafloor Control, Zetz, Evergreen, Damiki, and a line made by Abu for the Japan market. (The variety of colors and shapes is mind boggling) 

Seems the Aussie's and Kiwi's are up on it already, even Europe, but here in the USA I've found little or no sources. The only eBay dealers are overseas with limited variety of product, and there's a gazillion knockoffs on Aliexpress, but I wanted to get my hands on a few of the real thing.

Any sources? Websites? USA dealers?

THX
Deadly Sebastes assassin.

boon

the rockfish ninja

Quote from: boon on November 01, 2019, 12:39:47 AM
Plat should have you covered. Shipping might be rough due to the weight involved.

https://www.plat.co.jp/shop/catalog/default/language/en/cPath/4062_4064/lure/jig.html

Thanks, that site has a lot of awesome gear!!...   ... but sadly the shipping for weighted jigs or a nice jigging reel would just shoot a hole in that idea.

Where are you? and are you into the slow pitch thing?

the rockfish ninja

Quote from: SevenYearsDown on November 01, 2019, 06:28:23 AM
I believe Tady has some.

I already picked up a couple, we'll see how they perform on my next trip out.

Bryan Young

Try MasterCraft. Their USA headquarters is on Maui, I believe.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Gadget

Guys having played with these for a while now , Home made jigs can work as well as The fancy expensive jigs if you use a bit of thought as to how the water will flow over the jig and where you put the most weight.Centre weighted or slightly forward of centre are best.I start with a balsa master,made a high temp silicon mould and then pour my jigs from those.Tio make the masters i usually look at pictures of the jap jigs and copy those to a degree.
A bad days fishing is better than a good day in the office

Gadget

Gadget

weights vary between 350gm and 720 gms

Gadget

The cost here for Japanese gear is astronomical hence my attempts at creating my own.Funny thing is they seem to work just as well provided you dont have a jig that sinks backwards.Predatory fish shy off when their prey shoots towards them.Once you have a mould the more you make the cheaper they get.For instance the sea rock copies.If you can locate them are around $75 AUD.i have made the first 8 and already have the cost down to around $18.50 each

the rockfish ninja

Quote from: Gadget on January 16, 2020, 01:19:54 AM
The cost here for Japanese gear is astronomical hence my attempts at creating my own.Funny thing is they seem to work just as well provided you dont have a jig that sinks backwards.Predatory fish shy off when their prey shoots towards them.Once you have a mould the more you make the cheaper they get.For instance the sea rock copies.If you can locate them are around $75 AUD.i have made the first 8 and already have the cost down to around $18.50 each

Nice work!!!, thanks for sharing.

I'm still new to the flat fall/slow pitch game so I'm still getting a feel for which shapes & designs do what. Some of the shapes like "Rector" fall too slowly and I don't think are suited for this west coast CA fishery at deeper depths. Oddly enough my jig that caught the most fish is a $10.00 Savagegear knockoff called a "Squish", the action works but the finish is inferior and chips even from fish strikes, let alone reef rocks.

I just wouldn't even attempt making any, (and I'm a very crafty guy that makes things too), but I just wanted to get a couple of the real thing to see if they are superior to the knockoffs in effectiveness and durability.

Gadget

I will bet they are not any better.my searock copies are probably the best jig option for real deep water .500gm .go to the bottom well and flutter when jigged.

Ron Jones

They seem to look and act like Norwegian jigs (cod jigs.) They are nowhere near the prices you're talking about.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

boon

Quote from: the rockfish ninja on November 01, 2019, 04:14:05 PM
Plat should have you covered. Shipping might be rough due to the weight involved.

https://www.plat.co.jp/shop/catalog/default/language/en/cPath/4062_4064/lure/jig.html

Thanks, that site has a lot of awesome gear!!...   ... but sadly the shipping for weighted jigs or a nice jigging reel would just shoot a hole in that idea.

Just saw this now... I'm down in New Zealand. We do quite a lot of jigging, although the majority of the time it's "mechanical jigging" with short parabolic rods and, generally, long tail-weighted jigs, as the action of the jig comes much more from the rod/angler than the jig itself (within reason...).

When we do slower kinds of jigging.... I mostly fish slow jigs over slow pitch, jigs like Inchiku and Kabura, because we're targeting different species. Generally speaking anywhere that I would fish slow-pitch I'm likely to catch large Yellowtail Kingfish and I'm better off mechanical jigging with my heavy setup. That said, I plan to do a bit more slow-pitch (and I even have a couple of those Savage Gear "Squish" jigs!).

Of all the many types of fishing I've tried, japanese styles of jigging are the ones that seem to need the most "correct" gear.

the rockfish ninja

Quote from: boon on February 02, 2020, 08:45:13 AM
Quote from: the rockfish ninja on November 01, 2019, 04:14:05 PM

Just saw this now... I'm down in New Zealand. We do quite a lot of jigging, although the majority of the time it's "mechanical jigging" with short parabolic rods and, generally, long tail-weighted jigs, as the action of the jig comes much more from the rod/angler than the jig itself (within reason...).

When we do slower kinds of jigging.... I mostly fish slow jigs over slow pitch, jigs like Inchiku and Kabura, because we're targeting different species. Generally speaking anywhere that I would fish slow-pitch I'm likely to catch large Yellowtail Kingfish and I'm better off mechanical jigging with my heavy setup. That said, I plan to do a bit more slow-pitch (and I even have a couple of those Savage Gear "Squish" jigs!).

Of all the many types of fishing I've tried, japanese styles of jigging are the ones that seem to need the most "correct" gear.

I've tried the longer fast jigging stuff but they work like hex bars out here, hit or miss, not as consistent at flat falls from my experience.

Interesting, those other jigs you mention (we call them rock rover & octopus) never work for me out here and I've heard the same from other west coast USA anglers. That's why I took an interest in these jigs, cause I've tried a lot of squid & octopus jigs out here with little action, and the flat fall jigs produced right off the start. The Squish gets bit a lot, just the finish isn't holding up compared to the few legit jigs I have, chips all over it, still works though.

As for the "correct" gear thing, I've seen those guys from Japan taking 4-5 rods for different jig weights and I found that you have a lot more variance than they suggest, (maybe they want to sell more gear? ;)). I go out with two rigs, a light setup (Trevala S-jigging/Accurate V300) rated @ 168gr, but I've used up to 230gr on it with success. The other rig is like you, a short parabolic (St Croix rod/Avet SX), for 200gr and upwards.