Anti-Backlash Gizmo

Started by mo65, October 17, 2019, 04:33:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

Someone posted this on the facebooks today. Probably just another novelty casting gimmick, but I was curious to see if anyone here had any info. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Midway Tommy

It's an add-on. Not much is known about them, but, if I remember right, they work off magnets.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

milne

That's kinda interesting Mo

Col

Crow

I wonder if that reel is a "lefty", and the double bar "thingy" is a thumb bar, to activate some brake shoes (or push the magnets closer to the spool)? I have seen similar contraptions, but the "bars" were in "front" of the spool , and the line threaded through them...I guess a "tight line" kept the brake in the "off" position, and when the bit landed, the line went slack, and the brake was applied ???. If the reel is a "righty", I don't see how...or what...activated it.
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

oldmanjoe

I tried a quick search and the name did not come up.
  But i think this patent is very close to the reel shown , the difference is one has bar on top and the other on the bottom.
    Click on the drawing, and you may click on it again for a full blow up.
    https://patents.google.com/patent/US2205641
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

CapeFish

A similar spring loaded contraption was sold in South Africa, it was called an Easy Cast and it was made to fit a jigmaster. It had break blocks resting on the spool, if line was pulled off during a cast it lifted the blocks of the spool. When there was any slack in the line, the breaks would engage again. It totally screwed up casting distance but it did resolve all overwinds.

oc1

A similar one on a Penn was discussed here:
https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=21590.45

The design was also found on a small baitcaster.  I was thinking it was a Pflueger but cannot find it again. 

-steve

Midway Tommy

Quote from: oc1 on October 18, 2019, 12:03:29 PM

The design was also found on a small baitcaster.  I was thinking it was a Pflueger but cannot find it again.  

-steve

Maybe South Bend? They had something similar on their 300, 350, 400, 450, 550, etc. baitcasters.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)