Before & After

Started by foakes, October 19, 2019, 01:36:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Working on a job restoring 27 old DAM Quicks for one fellow.

Got (5) completed today.

All are as smooth as silk mechanically -- and close to 100% cosmetically.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Crow

Lookin' good, Fred !!  What brand of "crinkle paint" do you use ?And, do you "bake" it? I haven't used any , for years....I used to refurbish cameras, and used a "brush on" type, that required baking to actually "crinkle". I think, now, there are some brands that don't need the heat.
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

foakes

I use VHT -

Then I bake it at 200 for 60 minutes.

Am in the process of getting set up for powder coating these.

Sand blaster, PC set up, etc.

Not enough time to get it dialed in yet -- but pretty soon.

Dave (jurelometer) has been instrumental on giving me expert advice on powder coating from his own experience.  I have purchased and obtained about half of what is needed -- and will complete the rest of the set-up and equipment so that I can start doing all types of reel parts.  It needs to be set up in the outer shop -- and I have hundreds of parts to start the restoration process on.  Safety equipment, basic sense assembly line organization protocols, and a orderly system need to be in place properly before I start.  Good Winter project.

Should be fun to try various colors -- along with sticking to the original colors.

It is interesting to note that powder coating has now surpassed the traditional painting processes that are used world-wide for the manufacture of equipment, parts, and from small up to very large products.

It is more durable, simpler to apply, and a solid result.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

Great work maestro, they look new!
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

philaroman

WOW, a one-man production line

Brewcrafter

foakes

After church today, had time to wrinkle paint (4) DQ 110 Microlites.

Process is complete disassemble, clean and degrease fully, sand down the parts to be painted, reclean, dry completely using the oven, mask off any threads or places where paint may interfere with moving parts, (4) light coats of wrinkle paint (do not let any coat run -- just very light until nearly dry between coats), bake in the curing oven for 60 minutes, remove & wait 12 hours before reassembling the reel.

The detail and the prep are key -- just like painting a car.  Plus a little patience -- and a little experience.

Actually pretty easy though -- just time consuming to do it properly.

But they turn out as factory new.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Ruffy

Quote from: foakes on October 21, 2019, 12:00:14 AM
After church today, had time to wrinkle paint (4) DQ 110 Microlites.

Process is complete disassemble, clean and degrease fully, sand down the parts to be painted, reclean, dry completely using the oven, mask off any threads or places where paint may interfere with moving parts, (4) light coats of wrinkle paint (do not let any coat run -- just very light until nearly dry between coats), bake in the curing oven for 60 minutes, remove & wait 12 hours before reassembling the reel.

The detail and the prep are key -- just like painting a car.  Plus a little patience -- and a little experience.

Actually pretty easy though -- just time consuming to do it properly.

But they turn out as factory new.

Best,

Fred

They look amazing Fred, definitely as good as new! Do you take the fish and badge off or mask over them? If off, what do you use to glue them back on? I seem to see plenty of quicks listed on ebay with broken fish, much like the first gen spinfishers and there badges.

Cheers,
Andrew

foakes

The fish get taken off, Andrew --

Then they are re-glued back on with "emblem adhesive".

It is a glue available at auto parts distributors -- to fasten emblems on vehicles.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

Shark Hunter

Great Work Fred. Amazing! :o
Life is Good!

philaroman

WOW, again...  not just a good-enough 5-min epoxy, but a dedicated emblem adhesive

Tiddlerbasher

JeffG

Fred, just in case I can't get my microlite repaired,  how backed up are you? I think I got this one,  just needed a new rotor that will be here Wednesday after an unsuccessful attempt to retap the bail screw threads. It kind of crumbled.

Thanks
Jeff

foakes

Glad to help in any way.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.