Penn 430SS Main Gear Needed

Started by handi2, October 20, 2019, 06:48:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldmanjoe

Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

foakes

Here is what it looks like, Joe —-

A 716/714 will also fit and work —- except the A/R dog on a 716 is spring-loaded —- and the dog on the 420Ss & 430SS is one with friction ears.  So on the 8-420, the A/R ratchet wheel is slightly raised to accommodate the lower friction ear on the springless A/R dog.

I think it could be made to work with a 716 dog & dog spring —- but it might get...complicated, I don't know.

I have a private source that should have the right gear in stock —- but by the time I order it, get it shipped, and ship it to a member —- it might be $35??

These quality Penn parts are beginning to dry up in certain models.

The best bet might be to find a parts reel on eBay.  These are not as expensive as the greenies, as of yet —- but stay tuned, they will be.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

oldmanjoe

:)    Ok  it`s a worm drive gear , i though it was like the 440ss
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

sandbar

What is the best 6 lb. Monofilament available?

I need some for a 716Z and haven't purchased anything this light in many years.

-Steve

Midway Tommy

As far as I'm concerned, Trilene  XL (clear). That's all I ever use. 6# for UL & 8# for everything else.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

sandbar

Thank You Tommy.
That's what Fred recommended also.
I ordered a 3000 yd spool of 6 lb on Amazon for $38.20.

I've been looking for a main gear for a 430SS also, without success.
Even the 430SS reels being sold as parts reels on Ebay are going for high prices.

-Steve

handi2

It's an old post. I did use a main gear from a 714 then modified the dog. The customer is still very happy 😃
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL