Is there a complete reel here ?

Started by Crow, October 23, 2019, 05:10:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crow

Over the last week, I've picked up two D.A.M "Finessa" reels.....both "for parts" offers, and , hopefully....somewhere in this pair will be my "first" Quick reel ! I think, with the exception of a line roller, and a bail spring...there IS a usable reel , in here...somewhere ! :D. I've never owned...or fished...a DAM, but have been quite impressed by the various comments and "tutorials" that have been post.....I guess I'l never learn any younger  :).  A good project for next spring...while I wait for the flowers to grow !!
   As you can see, the "foot" on one has been "tweeked" a bit...out of line with the reel body, one is missing all the bail components, and the other missing the handle, and BOTH are obviously full of hard, dry grease..... they hardly turn, at all !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

mo65

It sure looks like you have everything needed right there...if not I'm sure we can come up with any missing parts. Interesting how the neck on that one is tweaked...my Finessa is the same! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

foakes

You actually have (2) complete reels there, Arlyn --

After a full cleaning, one at a time -- so parts are not mixed up between Finessa variations -- plus it is nice to have a complete model for reassembly of the other reel -- and just likely a very few new parts -- both will be fully either functional -- or as new if you wish to replace the paint that someone stole off of these two old soldiers.

Parts will just likely be a couple of new bail springs, new drag stack, a bail assembly to include a bail support, bail screw, etc., maybe a couple of other small parts -- if the bearings are howling -- they are easy to replace.  A new crank and knob.  Nothing expensive or major, most likely.

Just holler for whatever might be needed.

The frame foot is easy to align.  Just fasten the foot into a wood faced vise -- and gently move it back to square.

Am sending out (12) full restores on DQ's today, after another once over of each for function, and bagging -- of which only 1 of the 10 was in better shape than your two Finessas.  The rest were much worse.  (4) had tweaked frames.  I love buying old Quicks that folks think are no longer worth repairing.  

After the Lazarus treatment -- they are good to go another 50 years.

As a side note -- check out the close up of the spool on the little grey 238...it was completely a faded out whitish-smoke color.  A toothbrush and Penetrol --10 minutes of work, and new drags -- result in a pretty good example of how well the Penetrol works on plastics.  This is after setting for 3 days -- no return to fading so far.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Crow

I figure , if I'm going to do it....I might as well go "whole hog", with a repaint :-\. I'm really considering taking a few "new arrivals" south with me, when we go....for something to do on rainy days. Downside is, we plan on storing the RV down there next year, o anything that wants to come back, will be fighting for space in the truck! Rita (my better half) asked me yesterday, "Just how many reel have you bought, anyway?".....I played dumb....but I don't think she believes it's an act :D
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !