What is the Red Clip on the Reel Support Arm????

Started by El Pescador, October 24, 2019, 12:27:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Pescador

Thought I would just email Fred on this topic, BUTT then thought why not post my question and we can all learn, especially ME!!!

What is the red clip on the DAM Quick reel support arm???  I grabbed these photos off eBay and am still scratching my head on what it IS??  and what it DOES!!!

If you know, let us all know.

TANKS,

Wayne

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

foakes

That is just something that someone installed on the stand that is  not part of the reel, Wayne.

Could be lots of things --

Looks good, display connector, lanyard attachment, or just personal preference.

It is a constriction device for connecting flex lines to plumbing type applications.

Heck, it could be a banding device for raptors!

This DQ 110 Microlite reel appears new and unused -- looks just like yours!

This is the same reel that I caught a 12 pound German Brown trout up at Huntington Lake on December 22, 1992 with a Fenwick 5.5' glass rod and 4 pound mono.

These reels are so tough -- that they work way out of the typical design template for a reel of this size.

The gears, body, materials are the same as a 220 -- just a smaller rotor and spool.  

High speed gears at 1:5.

Extremely tough and capable reels -- and a pure pleasure to fish.

Not as good looking as a Mitchell 308/408, or a new modern plexiglass marvel from Asia...

But, when a fisherman puts function, capability, and bullet-proof dependable longevity -- ahead of looks --

This little reel is impossible to beat.

Just my unbiased opinions...

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

oldmanjoe

Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

El Pescador

Thank YOU Fred!

I knew you would know!!

You are one of the smart guys in the room,

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

xjchad

I'm wondering if it might be some type of clip for holding the line while the bail is open while soaking bait?
Keeps a little tension on the line and then pops loose when you get a bite so the fish can run line off the spool with the bail open?
Husband, Father, Fisherman

foakes

Quote from: xjchad on October 24, 2019, 03:24:06 PM
I'm wondering if it might be some type of clip for holding the line while the bail is open while soaking bait?
Keeps a little tension on the line and then pops loose when you get a bite so the fish can run line off the spool with the bail open?

Right, Chad --

And I am also thinking that it would also be a great way to secure a lure with the line attached when moving through the brush and tangles to fish the next hole.  Easy on -- easy off.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Ruffy

Quote from: foakes on October 24, 2019, 01:19:26 PM
The gears, body, materials are the same as a 220 -- just a smaller rotor and spool.  

High speed gears at 1:5

Fred, are they the same gears as the 221 then or are they different to accomodate the rotor?

Cheers,
Andrew

foakes

No, the gears are slightly different, Andrew --

Both are just as strong and impressive, though.  Same materials -- steel, phospher cut bronze, large support bearing, etc.

The body and sideplate are the same -- just a smaller rotor and rotor lower housing on the 110.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.