What is a "Retired" D.A.M. Quick Reel Good For?

Started by foakes, October 25, 2019, 07:14:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

What is a "Retired" D.A.M. Quick Reel Good For?

Basically nothing -- except maybe a poor paperweight...

Consider this offer --

If anyone on our site has busted DQ's -- any models -- I would recommend and encourage them to be restored and fished.

Maybe it has sentimental value, belonged to a relative, or just needs a bail spring after breaking 25 years ago.

Typically, after not being fished for years -- they just need a full disassemble, cleaning, burnishing of all interior and exterior parts, paint and polish, some replacement of broken parts with new parts, reassembly using modern synthetic lubes, micro-tuning, and testing.

If you do not wish to attempt the job -- I will be glad to do it for you.

Or, I will gladly buy your old broken DQ reels that you might find in your garage --

Either way, these old "refugees" deserve a chance to go another 50 years on the water.

Over the last month, I have been revamping my little upstairs shop into one that reflects and supports the reels I enjoy working on -- D.A.M. Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and Cardinals.

Having possibly triple the largest inventory of DQ parts and reels that I know of anywhere, worldwide -- this is easier for me than others, perhaps.  Plus, my experience over 40+ years, and thousands of DQ reel repairs and restorations -- allows me to enjoy the craft.

And, as always, the first loyalty on these parts is to AlanTani members.

So, please keep these points in mind -- as you come across old DQ reels that might need some help.

They will fish as well, or outlast any of the new Tupperware plastic reels coming out of Asia by decades -- after the plastic reels have been tossed in the garbage.  And will cost around 1/3rd the price.

Either fix and fish them -- or I will gladly buy them from you.

Or, just enjoy that paperweight.  😄😄😄👍

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Ruffy

Fred, did you get around to that 221 I sent you? I'd be curious to know how you went with it; it showed a few signs of its age but felt 'loose', like it was well worn. I thought maybe the main bearing was toast? Was anything worn or did it just need the above?

Cheers,
Andrew

foakes

Been playing catch up, Andrew --

Thanks for the reminder on that neat old high speed 221.

After a tough summer of many other things that took precedence over "reel time".

Am back on track now -- completing around 3 complete restorations per day, plus minor services and repairs.

I intend to show before and after photos of that 221 that you gave me -- as soon as I can.

It will turn out as new -- just out of the box, when completed.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Ruffy

No rush at all Fred, just curiosity as to what the master finds upon dissection!

Balvar24

scrinch

Fred, I've got a couple of 110's that I'd like to send to you for restoration. I'll send you a PM once I get home. We got evacuated early this morning due to the fire. I expect we won't get back home for several days.

foakes

Glad to do the 110's, Rich --

They will turn out as new.  52 year old Microlites -- good for another 50.

Sorry for your evacuation -- hope all is as well as possible.  Any word when you can get back home?

Soon, I hope -- and safe...

We have it easier up here at 4500' in the Sierras.

PG&E turned off our power yesterday around noon, I think.  We were in Fresno for Church -- when we got the notifications on our smart phones.  No issues. Stopped for an excellent meal at Don Fernando's a little before Prather.  I just freshly serviced the automatic standby generator 2 weeks ago.  We have a fresh load of close to 500 gallons of LP to run all appliances and the Generator.  Generator has been purring for 18 hours.  It was running when we returned home around 3 PM.

Up at 05:00 this AM.  On my second cup of dark Starbucks Italian Roast -- fire in the woodstove -- 26 degrees outside -- wind out of the SE at 1 -- clear skies -- winds only averaged 6 mph yesterday -- with a peak of 13 at one point.

Cats are warm, wife is happy -- those are the important things.

Will be working on reel backlog again this week.  Will start around 07:30.

We are prepared, cautious, and optimistic that power will be restored sometime today.

Hope all of the Ohana and their families are safe -- and soon back home with a minimum of issues.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

El Pescador

Fred,

Is this Section "Retired" or ...    REEL Tired????

Found this DQ 330 on CL, a guy was offering it for $10!   TEN BUCKS???  How could I go wrong!!!

Speaking with him, he had owned it for years, stopped fishing way back, and thought the reel was only good for parts.

Told him that was why I am buying the reel, for parts.   And was going to send it to a fishing buddy in Fresno... I didn't want to take 20 minutes to explain where Auberry is located.

After seeing the reel, I thought, Man this is worth more than $10 and tried for several attempts to offer more $$$.  He said NO each time.

We did the reel exchange and asked where he was headed after this encounter, said to take his 7 yr. old. grandson out for ice cream.   I slipped him extra cash for just that purpose.   We both left happy with the exchange.

Here you go Fred!!!!  I'll get it to you sooner than later.

Please let us know what it looks like inside when you get to open it up!!!

Wayne

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

foakes

Thanks, Wayne --

You might be amazed in how well this reel of yours will turn out when fully restored to as new condition.

Most of the reels that I restore for folks, or build from scratch out of the parts bins -- start out much worse than your 330.

First pic shows pretty much how they start out --

Yesterday, I restored from the ground up -- a DQ 270 Super.  These are heavy, over-built, salt water spinners that are bulletproof.  From '54 to '63 -- these reels ruled the surf -- and are one of the main reasons that Penn produced the old greenie Spinfisher series of reels.  You will notice many engineering similarities.

Also restored a DQ 331.  This reel is a real sleeper, in todays market...it is inexpensive to buy at yard sales or other venues (few folks know that parts are available, so they just get sold as is very cheaply) -- and when properly set up and restored -- it will handle any target game up to 100 pounds.  What makes it unique is the 331 denotes a high-speed gearing of 1:5, plus a longer crank for more torque and cranking power.

On this one, as with the Super -- I set it up for right hand cranking, as one of our members has requested.  Also upgraded to a metal spool and a slightly beefier handle and crank knob.  Lake trout, salmon, steelhead, stripers, hog catfish, large bass, carp, pike, muskies, walleye, and other large species are easily handled with a reel set up in this way -- with the right line, rod, and angler.

For the same member, this morning will be fully restoring another reel -- a DQ 440.  Kind of rare.  Same frame as the 330/331 -- larger rotor and spool for increased line capacity.  Will be set up also as right hand crank.

Then, this afternoon, will do an old DQ S.W. 68 -- which is the original Standard introduced around 1950.  This is for another member, and I will be doing a few other reels for him as well.

This is not fast work -- it is not done until I would fish them proudly myself.  So that entails full polishing inside and out, many new parts, modern lubricants, and cosmetics to be exterior perfect.

Been cutting down the backlog of basically new reels that are being built for members -- as well as the repairs & services.  Making good progress.  And there are more and more reels coming in every day.  

Good stuff -- and I am grateful for and enjoy the opportunity and privilege to provide some folks with some high quality and well performing reels.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.