Stuck Spool on Diawa SK1350

Started by rakulack, October 26, 2019, 01:26:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rakulack

The spool is stuck on a Diawa Sk1350. The center button pushes in but no go.  I sprayed some WD40 down the button hole but still no luck. Does the reel have to be completely disassembled to fix the issue that keeps the spool stuck on.  Thanks for your time.  Roger

happyhooker

Welcome to the AT site, Roger, from Minnesota USA.

I have, and have worked on, an AS 1350, which I believe is somewhat similar (but not identical) to your rear drag reel.  Have not had the problem you have, so can offer no insight as to why yours is doing what it is doing.  I suppose you could get into the gear case, remove the screw that holds the "fork" (oscillation slider retainer) over the oscillation shaft, tip and pull the fork off, then remove the shaft with the spool still attached to it. That will let you get a look at the back side of the spool and maybe see something that will enable you to get your spool free.  If you get into the gear case, take care with the anti-reverse mechanism, as these have a bit of a different set-up that might be confusing if it comes apart.

You should still be able to fish the reel even if you can't get the spool off; with a rear drag like this one, there is nothing (like drag parts or a clicker) behind/on the spool to need service or break.  The only reasons I can think of to remove the spool would to swap it with one having a different line on it, or to replace it if it is damaged (in which case the damaged and therefore likely worthless spool (plastic), can be cut off if nothing else works to remove it.)

Can you try pushing on the spool button with something like the eraser end of a pencil?  This might get the button a little further in than a finger would.

Frank

alantani

yeah, it's likely just badly stuck.  gotta push down on the center button and pull up really hard.  this is a really old reel.....   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

happyhooker

I took a little closer look at my 1350 spools just a bit ago, and I noticed there is a knurled ring around the push button on the front of the spool.   On one spool, I was able to, with some effort, turn that ring (the other one wouldn't budge).  The ring comes off, revealing a spring, a washer, and, of course, the push button falls out.  If you can get yours apart, you may find some dirt, broken spring, etc., that would help you solve your issue.  I had the best luck getting the ring loose, then turning the spool so the button points downward, before completing the ring removal.

Frank

rakulack

Thanks guys,   Finally got it off.  You were right, he spindle was really corroded. I used the pencil eraser and then really tugged.  Now I will just have to rip it apart and clean it up.. Good winter project.                             Roger

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

happyhooker

Persistence paid off.  Sometimes, the most valuable quality in reel repair.  Way to stay with it, Roger.

Daiwa used the "1350" designation on a bunch of similar rear drag reels, varying in anti-reverse design, rotor attachment method, color, etc.  My AS 1350 is fairly modest in design, but has been a decent reel, and, since I got it from a family member, has some sentimental attachment too.  Been a nice fish catcher.

Frank

The Fishing Hobby

Congrats Roger. That is a common problem on some of those Daiwa reels. I had the same thing happen on my 99ยข flea market find 1350. There is a ring around the top of the spool that is threaded that can be removed to allow better access as mentioned earlier. I took that off and used some thin oil and was able to get mine off.