New 10-20lb inshore spinning rod build

Started by ReelFishingProblems, November 03, 2019, 10:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReelFishingProblems

Ohana,

Starting another rod build. This will be my 6th.
I love the sense of calm and focus that comes over me when building a new reel or wrapping a new rod.
John "thorhammer" has been a constant source of motivation and rod building google for me. Also, he has been a source of materials.

My current build is on a blank donated by him for learning purposes. In true Ohana fashion, it is of phenomenal quality. On another identical blank, I have effortlessly caught slot snook, bonnethead shark, and countless donkey canal tuna (jack crevalle).

This one will be built with Fuji Titanium coated SIC guides from a St Croix Legend Elite salvage.

Still thinking of other embellishments, maybe go extra fancy on the reel seat to give some flare.

I will keep posting as progress continues.

Unrelated pic is a glass of Basil Hayden's, because a good build and a good bourbon go great together.

Nick

happyhooker

Like the color of that blank.  Black is OK, but a bit too ordinary.  Look forward to further news.

Frank

thorhammer

Nick, that Basil's is matching the rod color pretty well  ;D

I had about six of those blanks, sent two to you guys, cannot find the others for the life of me, and I keep all my blanks in one corner. Driving me crazy.

Voodoo, mudhole, anglers workshop have some new variegated and twist thread in some great colors I have been playing with- a bit more snap than solid colors.

Also, Jon Vadney was telling me about some new reel seats that are craft painted with extremely durable finish (I have avoided these in the past, since evn plain black on Fuji seats will flake). I can check back with him if you like for the name but very nice curb appeal. If it has his stamp, that's all I need.

The Fishing Hobby

I like that blank color too...reminds me of old glass rods!

ReelFishingProblems

John,

Maybe I should just use Basil's logo for this?
As for the suggestion from Jon Vadney, I'd love to see what he's talking about.
If I go with a metallic BH logo, a matching color light aluminum reel seat may look cool.

thorhammer

ReelFishingProblems

Quote from: thorhammer on November 05, 2019, 12:50:43 PM
i like it. stand by...
John, the suspense is killing me.
You didn't try to finish a bottle just for the logo did you?
Nick