SX - Grinding

Started by andrew555, November 06, 2019, 07:40:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrew555

Hi Alan, All,
I have a crap load of Avet reels but one of my SX 5.3's, seems to have a steady mild grinding feel to it when i am reeling it. I took the reel apart and nothing obvious i noticed that would be causing this. I'd like to order some replacement parts, any ideas which bearings or other parts i should be thinking about to correct this?

Thanks very much
Andrew

alantani

likely the pinion bearing in the right side plate.  it's the most common problem in all lever drag reels. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

andrew555

Thanks Alan, i was looking for that part but dont seem to see it. Is it called something else?

andrew555

I see spool bearing, end housing bearing, drag bearing but no pinion bearing...

akfish

Avet calls it the end house bearing. Note that the pinion gear fits inside; hence, most people call it the pinion bearing. When you call Avet to order one, it would be good idea to order a spare or two. Pinion bearings go out frequently.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

andrew555

Excellent, thanks so much!!!!

andrew555

I tried to search this site, looked at JDL but they dont seem to sell Avet parts.. is there a vendor other than Avet that sells parts for Avet reels?

I tried to buy on the Avet website, but doesnt look like you can purchase on their website.

Thanks again for any help.
Andrew

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

andrew555

thanks, yes i did go through the Avet site. will call them Monday but was looking for another site that sold parts, but doesnt look like there is one.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

andrew555

Thanks, i did locate the part on the website, and see that they are $6.00 each but i can't seem to add any to a cart and checkout. I tried two different laptops to see if it was something on my computers blocking the site or something.

Are you able to go through the ordering process on the Avet website?

alantani

these days, i think you have to call directly. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

andrew555

yes, will do..

thank you!

Gfish

I've only had to replace 1 "end house bearing" in my Avet(wouldn't it be great if part names could be standardized across the diffrent companies?), and it seemed to be a low quality ball bearing. A phone call got me pretty quick service. Best to order a couple of 'em, as Akfish suggested.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

andrew555

yes plan to order 6 to keep on hand, i have a bunch of SXs...

thanks
Andrew