Franken reel

Started by CooldadE, November 13, 2011, 06:21:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CooldadE

I have a bunch of parts form various penn reels. I would like a 99 size Jigmaster. I have a standard Jigmaster 500 and a reel stand and posts from a 112H. If I score a original 99 spool can I assemble these parts into a 99 size Jigmaster ?
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

Alto Mare

No! Parts for a 99 are hard to come by. Check eBay, there is a 99 for $15 and parts also. Good luck!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

CooldadE

No as in if I had a 99 spool it woulden't work / fit or no, parts are hard to come by ?

akfish

Finding a 99 width stand will be the tough part once you have the spool.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

broadway

You could always go with a tiburon frame... they're on ebay. 
Dom

Alto Mare

Yes Dom, but with the parts that he has he would end up with a 501. The best bet is to buy the complete reel on eBay, parts are hard to find. Another option would be a surfmaster 250, I believe that the guts are the same. The 99 stand has 6 holes 3 on each side, very unusual for a reel that small, but he could use his spool and a Tiburon as you mentioned.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

CooldadE

The posts for the 99 and the 112H are one and the same, penn part  37-65. So the 112H stand I have is the same width as the 99 stand. The 112H stand fits the Jigmaster frame along with the posts. In theory if I had a 99 spool be it original or Newell / Tiburon I could pop it in and have an Albacore Special. At this point I need to know if the original 99 spool is compatible with my Jigmaster sideplates

Alto Mare

If I remember correctly, I don't believe that it would work. Sorry, I don't have a 99 spool to test it. Just out of curiosity, why not go with a 112h or a 501 ?

CooldadE

I have three 112h reels and two 501 reels. I need a midsized Jigmaster, I always get need and want mixed up... I still want a definitive answer on the 99 spool before I go the Tiburon total conversion route

Alto Mare

Hang in there, I'm sure that someone else can confirm what I said about the spool.
Dom, don't you have one of those reels ?

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

broadway

Sal, you probably have 3 in mint condition with the box ;D, but I think I do have one at my old man's house.  I'll check next time I make it down there (NJ).
Dom

Alan's right, it ain't cheap, but if you want it you can get it.
Dom

CooldadE

There has to be an old salt out there that can tell me if a Penn 99 spool will fit the Jigmaster sideplates with the rite stand and posts. I beleive I am set up with the rite stand and posts all assembled and ready for a spool. I have a friend that bought out an old bait and reel shop, we went through all his many spools and not one for the 99

alantani

Quote from: CooldadE on November 14, 2011, 11:56:24 PM
There has to be an old salt out there .....

ahem, that would be me......   ;D

one of the best conversions ever made was to take a penn 99 silver beach, pop off the silver beach side plate and pop on a jigmaster 500 side plate.  the fit was perfect. it made a great reel for 25# mono.  alot of the albacore guys in northern california used this reel.   
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

intili

Alan is correct, he and I did this a few years ago, Dec2008 actually. The 500 Jigmaster R/H plate assembly fits with no modifications, and you get faster stronger gears and larger drags. I used the original 99 chrome over brass spool so it makes a nice small wireline reel also. Just buy the stainless gear sleeve and fine tooth star from Alan, as well as an upgraded handle. It goes without saying HT100 under main gear!