Pin Tool for Daiwa BG 30H conventional reel?

Started by eduardo kang, November 11, 2019, 12:56:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eduardo kang

Folks,
I dunked my reel in the surf during my last outing so I made it a point to tear it down, clean, and lube it yesterday.  Only having about a dozen tear downs (90% abu c3s) under my belt, I came across a "bearing pin" for the first time.  Being a knuckle head and in a hurry, I muscled the part and managed to mangle the pin and possibly tweaked the spool shaft during removal; ie I used vise grips.  Needless to say I was able to reassemble the reel, but it feels like the pinion gear isn't fully disengaging when I throw the clutch/bail.  At the very least I feel I need a new bearing pin, so I have one on order.  At worst I will need a new spool assembly.  Either way if i want to properly service my reels moving forward I will need the correct tool. 
I've done a few searches and have seen recommendations for bearing pin removal tools (BPRT) - Boca Pliers, Hedgehog, Smoooth Drag Pliers, and a few random links to ebay press tools.  I seen statements that some of these are only good for "small" baitcasters.  Does anyone have any experience with the BG30H and have a BPRT they can recommend?

Thanks!

Tiddlerbasher

Hi and welcome :)
I have used the Boca pliers for several years and can't fault them. The Smoothdrag pliers look very similar - slightly more expensive.
You could always try and make your own.

Cor

I've just removed and replaced a pin to service the bearing and used one made from a pair of vice grip pliers.
Search this site how to cut it.    Easy to do, I used an small angle grinder and the nice part of the pliers is the good leverage it has and the adjustable knob to get the pin precisely back in the right place.
Cornelis

Donnyboat

Alan demonstrates it on one of his post, grinding down one side of the vice grips, then you can force the pin down to the spool shaft, then pull it out, just take note, that some pins are tapered, so push the the correct way,, good luck cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat