Squidder Mod

Started by milne, November 13, 2019, 06:22:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

milne

So It's time to get stuck into these projects I have mounting up, some I have started, some I have yet to start.
I'm needing to make a collective order, as freight to down under certainly stings !!!
I still have another 4/0 and a 4/0 wide with Tiburon frames and a 9/0 which will get the full works.

However, this is about the Squidder.......
So far she has the Tiburon frame and handle upgrade, but haven't touched inside.
I want to be using her for casting slugs, probably with 30-40lb braid with mono top shot, chasing our Aussie salmon and the occasional kingfish,
so at Best a 20lb fish, but  the Kingfish especially, go real hard.
So I'd like to upgrade the drag to give her a bit more grunt, to go along with the Tiburon frame.
What upgrades are recommended here, I see there is a S/S gear sleeve and also a new star available, is this recommended when up grading the drag ???
What have others done or what would be recommended here........
As mentioned, just getting a rather large order ready to save on freight
Thanks in advance

Col

scrinch

I think I'd start with Bryan Young's 5+1 drag stack, and then only add the ss gear sleeve. That's as far as I've gone in my 146's. You won't be generating a huge amount of drag in that little gear, so I don't think you really need to beef up any of the other components. A 20lb kingfish/yellowtail will put up quite a fight on a squidder. Should be fun!

milne

Hi Scrinch,
               Thanks for that,  The drag update and ss gear sleeve was all I could find when I sifted thru the posts, but I wanted to make sure.
  In all honesty, it will probably sit there until I see a boil up, usually Atlantic salmon ( kahawai as we called them back home) generally if there 5-6 lb you've done well, but there a hell of a fight on light gear. But I know that I won't be able to resist flicking a slug at some rat Kingy's which here can get upwards of 15lb at the heads in the bay I fish.
  What sort of drag figures do you think your 146 would get out of interest ?
I see there is now a fine threaded ss gear sleeve available, which would give a finer adjustment with the drag, did you fit the corse threaded gear sleeve or the fine one ??

Col

RowdyW

I would go for the fine threaded sleeve. Bryan's 5 stack comes on pretty fast and a fine thread adjustment will give you an adjustment that is more precise and not as touchy.       Rudy

mo65

Quote from: RowdyW on November 13, 2019, 02:32:39 PM
I would go for the fine threaded sleeve. Bryan's 5 stack comes on pretty fast and a fine thread adjustment will give you an adjustment that is more precise and not as touchy.       Rudy

I agree...especially if the setting being touchy bothers you. Although the 5-stack's power does come on faster, it's a much smoother set up at higher drag settings. You can expect 15-20lbs. max...depending on how flat and true your metal washers are. I see you commented you haven't been inside the reel yet. If it doesn't have a steel main, you may want to find one. Let me know if you can't find the gear local. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

milne

Hi Guys,   
             Thanks Rowdy, That sounds perfect for my set up and the type of fishing I'll do with it.
                                   A fine threaded one it shall be, thanks.

Hi Mo, 15-20lb drag is great, again perfect for the fishing I'll be doing with it.
            When all the frame parts from Randy arrived, I just assembled the reel, but didn't strip the insides down, so I'm about to do that now.
        Thanks for the heads up on the steel main Mo, I'll check that out. I want to make this reel as tough as I possibly can.

Thanks guys

Col

Alto Mare

The squidder is one of my favorite reel, I own all available colors from Cortez Conversions and a couple from accurate.

20lbs might be a bit much for a squidder, I wouldn't push it above 15lbs.and that would be with the available upgrades.
But of course not everyone fishes the same.

A stock squidder max drag is rated at 7-8lbs from Penn, we could double that number with the upgrades, but wouldn't overdo it.

Just my opinion of course.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mo65

Quote from: Alto Mare on November 13, 2019, 10:01:51 PM
20lbs might be a bit much for a squidder, I wouldn't push it above 15lbs.and that would be with the available upgrades.
But of course not everyone fishes the same.

I don't think I've ever had my Squidders with the 5-stack higher than 10-12lbs. There's always more power than what I use. The 5-stack can really shine in the #5-66 geared reels, they can take the 15+ better. Speaking of...I'm working on a 113 Grouper Special right now Sal. Using the 149 main/113H pinion set up. Good to see you back in these conversations! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

xjchad

Quote from: mo65 on November 13, 2019, 11:09:53 PM
Good to see you back in these conversations! 8) [/color]

X2!  :)
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Alto Mare

Thanks guys!
The advice from Rudy, Mo and others about the 5 stack is a good one.
It isn't always about gaining more drag, those are the best option you could do on these little guys.
My Surfmasters have the 5 stack as well, it makes a world of difference when fishing.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

scrinch

I typically use 20lb or 25lb mono on my squidders and surfmaster, so I've never tried to go above about 8-10 lbs of drag. If I need more drag than that, I'll use a 501 with 30-40lb topshot...or a 113hn with 50lb topshot.

Alto Mare

Quote from: scrinch on November 14, 2019, 12:19:08 AM
I typically use 20lb or 25lb mono on my squidders and surfmaster, so I've never tried to go above about 8-10 lbs of drag. If I need more drag than that, I'll use a 501 with 30-40lb topshot...or a 113hn with 50lb topshot.

Yup! Same here!

Mo, can't wait to hear what you think about the new combination with the 5-149 and 113H pinion.

Sal

conchydong

Quote from: scrinch on November 14, 2019, 12:19:08 AM

This. I only use a Squidder for it's original intentions and that is light Surf fishing, which, unfortunately, I rarely do anymore. It is fine for Pompano, Bluefish, Snook and Spanish Mackerels and most other smaller species common to S. Florida. I have no interest with catching Tarpon or Sharks as I consider them trash fish.

milne

Thanks guys, appreciate every ones input.
         I probably over exagerated my expectations on up to a 20lb kingy, as mentioned, a good salmon averages 5-7 lb on a good day, but are awesome fighters all the same. The kingy population here in Melbourne were completely fished out with netting and cages back in the 50's, but over the last year or two, they have kind of made a come back at the heads to the bay, but they are really only rat kingy's, which are great fun on light gear, which I know I won't be able to resist the temptation with this modded Squidder  ;D.  10-12 lb of drag is all I will need in all honesty.
When chasing kingy's further north or out wide, I always go up in gear, I did a lot of king fish fishing back home on some absolute horses in NZ, which fair tested any gear, but here in Aussie, they don't seem to be that big.
I fish pretty well all my reels with mono, I was being "pursuaded" to give braid a go reluctantly, mainly because this is a narrow Tiburon frame set up, but I may re think this !.  
So the Squidder will be there as an all round reel set up for smaller target species, maybe I might have to look at another mod option for something with a wee bit more capabilties. I normally go for my Saragosa set up when popping on the surface, which is a great reel, but as previously mentioned, I am trying to replace a lot of my modern gear with older Penn modded reels and with 4 on the table at the minute to finish off, that option can wait for a while.
Great to hear from you Sal  !!!!!!!!!!

Mo, Just quickly looked at the main gear and it appears to be steel, so I will give it the good check over and check it's condition first, as this Squidder
      was originally a very well used one..

Col

jurelometer

Hi Col,

What would help would be to specify a bit about how you planned to fish the reel.  The squidder has a 3.3:1 gear ratio, which means this is not a good reel for speed winding, which is something that I find important for working just about any lure for kingies.

The narrow squidders with the metal frames were the hot reel back in the day for tossing small live baits to (true) albacore tuna with 20 lb mono.   It is a great reel for soft tossing and working small to medium  live baits in freespool.   Unlike modern levelwinds and those mini  "jigging" reels, the squidder yoke/engagement system has all metal parts and is fairly robust.  It is less likely to go kablooey if you flip the lever from freespool on a hot kingie with the drag buttoned down.   

The lower gear ratio actually comes in handy when fighting kingies, as it makes it much easier to wind under load.   Even with the stock drag,  you will find that the gear sleeve to handle junction will be the weakest link when you wind under load to keep the kingfish off of structure.  But this will only get to be a problem if you are getting into a lot of 10-15 pounders.  I would do a stainless gear sleeve and a stainless handle arm as a first upgrade.  You might need to get a stainless dog if you find that the stock dog is getting chewed up by the upgraded gear sleeve.  A stainless star will not provide a performance benefit.  I will defer to the other folks with more experience on the drag kit, but make sure that whatever you run has carbon fiber washers that are coated with drag grease.  You need to avoid any sticking in the drag if you are going to crank it down past the original intent.

A stock squidder is more than enough reel for kahawai.   Rat kingies will be fine.   As a live bait reel, it is better option than some of the more modern choices in that size/class.   If you need to wind lures fast, you will probably find a modern levelwind more effective, or you can go back to your eggbeater Shimano :)

-J