South Bend 404

Started by Midway Tommy, November 15, 2019, 04:22:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midway Tommy

South Bend started selling open face spinning reels in the early '60s. A couple of their earliest reels were 606 & 707 Sup-Matics (made in France), Sea-Matic 808 (made by Shakespeare) and a light/ultra-light 404 (made by Horrocks-Ibbotson). The SB 404 came out in late '63/early '64. It is ambidextrous and basically the same reel as the Horrocks-Ibbotson 1902. It's supposed to hold 175 yds of 4# & 100 yds of 8# test mono. The 404 is not nearly as high quality as the Sup-Matics and Sea-Matic.

The 404 has an interesting, and somewhat unique, drive train design. Here's a look.

This is how it looked inside when I took it apart.  ???

After I figured out how to get it all apart here are the parts all cleaned and ready to put back together. All the unpainted metal parts were soaked in lacquer thinner and the painted and plastic parts were cleaned with Original White Goop and then washed in warm water & Dawn. I used Super Lube and synthetic oil for lubrication, except the bail spring which I always use ArmorAll.

The drag stack isn't much. A leather washer at the bottom in the spool and a neoprene washer sandwiched in between two keyed metal washers. The keys go into a groove in the main shaft.

Nothing secures the drag washers in the spool except the drag knob. There's a coil spring inserted into a groove in the drag knob for tension adjustment.

This is the left hand side plate. The anti-reverse dog is pinned in place. The tension spring/plate is held in place with a stud & screw.  

Now things get interesting. The main shaft is two pieces with the oscillation block pinned in between the two rods. The rear pin is longer and has a bronze bushing on it. That pin/bushing rides in the oscillation groove in the main gear. The pinion gear is pressed into the rotor. There is a bronze bushing in front of the pinion gear that actually rotates in the groove in the body and side plate. The main shaft is supported at the rear by a bronze bushing. The click gear threads onto the main shaft from the front.

EDIT: After I removed the roll pin from the front half of the main shaft I found out that not to be necessary to remove the main shaft. On this reel the click gear was extremely tight and I didn't want to screw something up so I removed the pin, unscrewed the bail trip lever and slid the shaft & trip parts out through the front. Then I secured the shaft and unscrewed the click gear. That extra work was not necessary as I could have held the oscillation block secure and removed the click gear with my small channel locks and slid the shaft out through the back of the rotor and then removed the bail trip & lever. 

The main shaft has to be inserted from the back of the rotor. The bail trip washer is keyed to slide into the groove on the main shaft and the the bail trip arm goes on top of the trip washer. Once they're in place the click washer threads onto the main shaft.

Once those are in place it's time to install the main shaft bushing, main gear, body and side plate. The main gear shaft goes through the oscillation block. There are springs and shim washers on each side of the oscillation block on the main gear shaft.  

The main gear goes into the side plate first since the side plate has the anti-reverse mechanism. One spring goes onto the shaft and then a brass shim washer. Next the rotor/main shaft/oscillation block assembly and bronze bushing are put in place. Then one shim washer, spring and the third shim washer go onto the main gear shaft. The next step is to attach the body to the side plate.

Usually I install the bail mechanisms to the rotor first but on this type of installation the bail has to be installed after the other parts are put together. On this reel the bail spring is on the opposite side from the bail arm. I checked the bail for perfect alignment and tested it to make sure it operated correctly.

Time to install the handle, spool, drag knob and test it to make sure everything works as it should.

South Bend 404. Surprisingly, it is fairly smooth and works pretty good.

Here's the Horrocks-Ibbotson 1902 for comparison. The only differences are the color and the torpedo knob on the SB 404.

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

mo65

Great post Tom! That's an interesting little reel...thanks for the look inside. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Brewcrafter

That was a very well done walk through of a neat old reel.  Do you have fishing plans for it, or just restoring it to it's former glory to enjoy?  It looks really great! - john

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Brewcrafter on November 15, 2019, 06:47:13 AM
That was a very well done walk through of a neat old reel.  Do you have fishing plans for it, or just restoring it to it's former glory to enjoy?  It looks really great! - john

Thanks, Mike & John! It hadn't been used very much, if at all. It will just catch shelf fish as long as I have it.  :)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

festus

Great step-by-step, Tommy.  I've seen those on the auction and wondered what was going on inside.

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

swede 53

Saw one of these and with the made in USA on it i figured it was probably before Gladding but had no idea who made it or when South Bend marketed them,nice to have the timeline on these,thanks.

happyhooker

Nice look; good write-up; thanks, Tommy.

Frank

foakes

As usual, Tommy --

Great breakdown, service, tutorial, and knowledgeable explanation!

Excellent cleaning.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

Thanks, guys! See my edit above the sixth photo about removing the main shaft. Removing the front roll pin in the oscillation block wasn't/isn't necessary to remove the shaft.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

DougK

thanks Tommy.. I have just acquired a South Bend 469 spinning rod in split cane, looking for a period reel to go with it.. even the 404 would be a bit too modern, as the rod is from the early 50s.
So far I am thinking Mitchell 304, Orvis 100, and currently about to fish it with a Shakespeare 2052..
Do have a modernish 930 Classic in the box, might be time to get it out.