Abu Gracia Alphamar reels

Started by steve47, November 14, 2011, 01:22:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve47

I am interested in the new Abu Gracia Alphamar reels.  I would use it as a jigging reel but I'm not sure if it would stand up to AJs etc.  Also, I don't know if a level line reel is right for jigging and if it can stand up to this type of fishing.  I haven't been able to find one in a store to check out so I'm looking for comments.

akfish

Alphamar reels look very much like the Penn Fathom reels. I wonder if they are the same reel with different packaging. Both Penn and Abu Garcia are now owned by Pure Fishing, and both reels are made in China.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

steve47

I was looking at the Penn Fathom also and though there is a fair price difference they could be the same basic reel.  I like the Abu products and hoped this reel would be a good jigging reel.  Don't think I'd buy one until I am able to see one or hear some good reports.

Keta

I have an Alphamar 12 and a Fathom 25N on the way.  I will tear them doiwn and do a pre use service and take photos.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

steve47

Keta,  thanks I'm interesting reading what you find.