Penn 712 with aluminium main gear.

Started by Ruffy, November 16, 2019, 01:40:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruffy

Hi guys, I've got a few Penn 712s now as I like the size. One of them came with no spool, all good, I've sourced a replacement. But then I noticed it had an aluminium main gear as well which I've not seen. Anyone know the back story of these? Was this an earlier run with the plastic spool (hence it not having a spool, which died)?

Cheers,
Andrew

nelz

Very eeen-teresting. That's a first for me! Nice looking 712's btw.

Ruffy

Quote from: nelz on November 16, 2019, 02:56:08 AM
Very eeen-teresting. That's a first for me! Nice looking 712's btw.

Thanks Nelz, I've found them to be the perfect estuary size. I just got the one with the brass gear this week, it's been Tani'd already with greased CF drag and blue grease throughout. Very interesting though, they wind completely different. The brass main feels heavier to wind but more solid, the aluminium easier but feels hollow compared to the brass. I've also got an issue with the newer style bail wire not being a neat fit as it came on the brass geared reel, time to play.

Cheers,
Andrew

thorhammer

Mine have plastic spools, but I cant recall if 712 or 714. Likely wouldn't matter. Not sure what gears are in there- I sent them to Fred a couple years back so no need for me to poke around in there :)

John

Ruffy

The plot thickens. My 712s not only have different material main gears, but the side plates are completely different sizes in both thickness and outside diameter. They are not interchangeable. Anyone have any idea?

Cheers,
Andrew