Lingcod jig mashup

Started by pjstevko, November 19, 2019, 04:12:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjstevko

I've seen a similar jig like this online and thought I'd put together my own version to try out on the HuliCat next month. I'll add a twin tail scampi or a P-line squampi to the jig head. I hope it's weird enough to get the attention of some big lingcods!

Brewcrafter

Cool Out of Box thinking!  I have caught many lings and rockfish by using a "diamond jig" style jig at the weight at the end of a dropper loop rig with shrimp flys.  Go for it and show us the results!  The only thing I would be concerned with depends on your depth you are fishing.  As you drop this rig, it is probably going to spin and twist, and that will be accentuated by having two weights.  And depending how crowded the boat is, how much current, how fast you drop and how deep, etc etc, if your rig spins or "corkscrews" down you can unintentionally create some wonderful macramé with your fellow anglers. 

pjstevko

Quote from: Brewcrafter on November 19, 2019, 07:46:16 AM
Cool Out of Box thinking!  I have caught many lings and rockfish by using a "diamond jig" style jig at the weight at the end of a dropper loop rig with shrimp flys.  Go for it and show us the results!  The only thing I would be concerned with depends on your depth you are fishing.  As you drop this rig, it is probably going to spin and twist, and that will be accentuated by having two weights.  And depending how crowded the boat is, how much current, how fast you drop and how deep, etc etc, if your rig spins or "corkscrews" down you can unintentionally create some wonderful macramé with your fellow anglers. 

I'll be replacing the swivel at the top with a high quality bb swivel which should limit line twist. The rig will be get "casted" away from the boat which will hopefully not cause any issues with my fellow anglers  ::)

Brewcrafter

Good plan!  I cannot tell you how many times as a young lad in Morro Bay folks would not have enough weight for the depth or current, so would start to add multiple weights on their rigs.  I learned early on that that two 1# cannonballs will NOT give the same results as having one 2# cannonball...(and I got really good at untangling Izorline Greenspot  ;D)

Bill B

Well, I think I have my terminal tackle sorted out for this weekend, hope the weather cooperates and we get out of the harbor......Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

pjstevko

Quote from: Bill B (Tarfu) on December 10, 2019, 02:55:18 AM
Well, I think I have my terminal tackle sorted out for this weekend, hope the weather cooperates and we get out of the harbor......Bill

Looks good. Those big white curly tails were lingcod killers last year!

Brewcrafter

Good luck!  Looking forward to the report! - John

Dominick

PJ thanks for the idea.  I received a couple of lures handmade by Dave (Jurelometer).  They are really good looking lures.  However the lure is only 8 ounces and trying to fish the 8 ounce lure on a party boat fishing at 270 feet is a recipe for disaster.  So I went to my tackle box and rigged this setup.  My question is, do you think this will work and if you were a ling would you bite this?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Maxed Out

Very creative Mr Gwasshoppa....Is this lure kinda like that guy in the commercial that is half man and half motorcycle ??  ;D  ;D
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Dominick

Quote from: Maxed Out on December 11, 2019, 11:43:41 PM
Very creative Mr Gwasshoppa....Is this lure kinda like that guy in the commercial that is half man and half motorcycle ??  ;D  ;D

Ted, I'm still trying to figure out what the significance of the half and half means.  I guess that commercial is not aimed for my demographic.  Well the setup weigh 18 ounces so it should go to the bottom without interfering with the others on the boat.  Whether it will catch fish is another story.
But one never knows if you don't try.  There is also lady luck involved.  If I don't catch fish is it because it did not work or I would not have caught fish no matter what I used.  Again, that is if the boat goes.  As a matter of fact even if the boat goes I won't be on it.  I don't do 11 feet swells.  If the seas lay down by then I'll go but it is a waiting game.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

jurelometer

Quote from: Dominick on December 11, 2019, 10:45:48 PM
PJ thanks for the idea.  I received a couple of lures handmade by Dave (Jurelometer).  They are really good looking lures.  However the lure is only 8 ounces and trying to fish the 8 ounce lure on a party boat fishing at 270 feet is a recipe for disaster.  So I went to my tackle box and rigged this setup.  My question is, do you think this will work and if you were a ling would you bite this?  Dominick

I think that you and PJ should fish next to each other  ;D .  Doubled weights/lures tend to spiral on the way down unless you drop slowly, which sort of defeats the point.   Give it a shot and report back.

BTW:   The  shimano jig is upside down.   It will probably spiral less if you turn it around.    I would personally fish the jig standalone (right side up)  with just an assist hook on the top.  I make a similar jig that has worked well on a bunch of species, including rockfish.  Mine sinks pretty fast on a straight drop.

Go get 'em (weather permitting)!

-J

gstours

Dominick,  I have to agree with Dave and the "Twisting Spiral Tangle Slow Drop" theory in that you may be better off with a single heavier jig than more mass and drag as the thin jig wont really flutter much and tangles and half #### oozy from the sea conditions are not a lot of fun.
   I know butt dont ask!  I,m not too proud to say I get oozy and puke too. ;)
  You can buy lots of lead j hook stuff in 16-32 oz, It think.  quick dip paint job,  even hang a stinger on.   Both those lures shown are best fished alone thats how they were desighned.    Wish I could go.    Just sayin. :-*

Bryan Young

Dominick, who knows.  if no one is fishing next to you and you have a good ball bearing swivel connected to that rig, spinning down could be a great thing...noise, vibration, and a bit of flash.  It's often the unusual that get bitten first if you are down first.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

David Hall

I'd fish it!  If I didn't already have a guaranteed to catch fish super secret extra special home made lure already rigged up and ready to go.  Shhhhhhhhnnnnhhhh.

pjstevko

Quote from: Dominick on December 11, 2019, 10:45:48 PM
Dominick how'd the lure work? Was it tough to fish?