Bearing Bad tools

Started by JK47, November 20, 2019, 10:32:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

Quote from: JK47 on November 20, 2019, 10:32:29 PM

I think I found it by watching a youtube video by Tackle Advisors (I like watching the reel teardown videos). FYI the $1000 price is just a gag, he has a sense of humor, contact him if you're interested. I won't post his email, but it is available in the youtube video. I wanted to share Ernie's tools with everyone in case you are looking for something like these unique items.

i watched the video and i found some of it potentially useful, some of it i disagree with, but mostly i don't care for the humor and the style.  guys, if i ever come across as a total "know it all," you have permission to slap me!   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

JK47

Quote from: alantani on January 20, 2020, 05:42:11 PM
Quote from: JK47 on November 20, 2019, 10:32:29 PM

I think I found it by watching a youtube video by Tackle Advisors (I like watching the reel teardown videos). FYI the $1000 price is just a gag, he has a sense of humor, contact him if you're interested. I won't post his email, but it is available in the youtube video. I wanted to share Ernie's tools with everyone in case you are looking for something like these unique items.

i watched the video and i found some of it potentially useful, some of it i disagree with, but mostly i don't care for the humor and the style.  guys, if i ever come across as a total "know it all," you have permission to slap me!   :-\

Yeah, he can be a bit much, and is definitely geared towards garnering views and subscribers.

It would be great if you guys did some detailed tear down videos of conventional reels.

alantani

yeah, that's been on my mind for a long time.  it will have to be after i clear out this backlog of reel, clean up the garage, get the weeds pulled.....  you get the idea.  :-\

TheReelShop

So I have most of his specialty tools. I have been backed up on reels but I plan to do a video on these a little more direct to the point. I have a slide hammer kit which helps with removing hard stuck bearings that was also made by Ernie. He is in fact a good guy at least from our conversations via phone. The guy is quite creative to be honest. Im really happy with the tools.

JK47

Quote from: TheReelShop on March 19, 2020, 03:44:41 AM
So I have most of his specialty tools. I have been backed up on reels but I plan to do a video on these a little more direct to the point. I have a slide hammer kit which helps with removing hard stuck bearings that was also made by Ernie. He is in fact a good guy at least from our conversations via phone. The guy is quite creative to be honest. Im really happy with the tools.

Yeah, all my interactions with Ernie have been positive, and who I was referring to when it came to the sense of humor.. Tackle advisor is in a world of his own, for better or worse, lol.

TheReelShop

Quote from: JK47 on March 19, 2020, 04:59:34 AM
Quote from: TheReelShop on March 19, 2020, 03:44:41 AM

Yeah, all my interactions with Ernie have been positive, and who I was referring to when it came to the sense of humor.. Tackle advisor is in a world of his own, for better or worse, lol.

LoL I understood initially. Ernies videos with the old school theme song is hilarious while he pulls out a bearing. haahaha

alantani

Quote from: TheReelShop on March 21, 2020, 04:33:19 PM
LoL I understood initially. Ernies videos with the old school theme song is hilarious while he pulls out a bearing. haahaha

so, is this turning into a full time job for you?

TheReelShop

Quote from: alantani on March 21, 2020, 05:07:43 PM
Quote from: TheReelShop on March 21, 2020, 04:33:19 PM

so, is this turning into a full time job for you?

Not yet. Right now I'd have to admit its a little bit of both hobby, and side job. I joined this site back in 2014. I began to do reel service for the public in Jan 2016 (2 years fiddling with my own and friends reels). At that same time I opened up my instagram account where I post a lot of my work. I used to work in a 1 sqft space and now Im in 10 x 20 shed of which 3/4 of my reel income supported the shed financially (accumulated over a long period of time). I have not exposed myself more secondary to someone dropping off a huge load of reels. I would not know what to do!!. I currently still work as an RN, so my reel work is done after hours. I'm trying to maybe create a one stop shop for reels/rods/fishing. Currently doing work for a baitshop that recently opened down here, and they've kept me busy plus the "walk-ins". Last year I did officially open The Reel Shop, LLC just in case things got better.

alantani

definitely keep your day job! 

Alto Mare

Quote from: alantani on March 21, 2020, 08:57:06 PM
Excellent advice by the master!...I agree!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

TheReelShop

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 21, 2020, 08:58:34 PM
Excellent advice by the master!...I agree!

Sal

Yes, Reel service does not come close at all. For this to "work" you'd need an extension of the sport and provide more than just reel repair.

PetesReelRepair

Quote from: Cadman on November 24, 2019, 10:55:14 PM
Quote from: JK47 on November 21, 2019, 03:51:49 PMThe Bearing Bad tool works on the same principle as the ReelSpeed tool.

I agree with you 100%

For those that bought the ReelSpeed(no offense to anyone) and paid $300, well guess what, this little tool does the same job the same way for $40.00. I'm not saying it is good practice to pull bearing out by the inner races, however the way that bass baitcasting reels are made, we are dealt with what we have. You have a bearing in a blind hole, and not many ways to remove a bearing that way. Anyway I ordered a set, a model 312 and a 612. I will put them thru the paces, as I will have a lot of reels to clean, since it is cold here now. I will let you know how it works for me. JMO
Exactly the set I bought as well, handles pretty much any bearing from trout spinners to large conventionals between the two.

steelfish

well, eventho I started to like working on fishing rods more than working on fishing reels, local captains dont give me a break on repairing and servicing their reels and those are the guys that take me out fishing so, I cant say, NO!   ;D  ;D

That said, I recently bought some tools to make my life easier when working on reels, as a new cordless screw driver, a bunch of new good quality of hex and torx tips SAE and Metric sizes, smaller cordless dremel for small and quick jobs and last but not least some BAD Bearing tools, just some of the models that are made by Ernie.
recently I was servicing a bunch of new fishing reels for a pre-first use service and I didnt found the pick tool with the bent tip that I use to take the bearings out from blind holes, Im talking about bearings in good shape with not corrosion at all, well I lost more time searching for my pick tool than actually bending the tip to another tool in order to reach the bottom of the bearing and take it out, that made me remember that I saw a tool before here that will help on those situation, so long story short, I contacted Ernie which is the guy behind "Bad Bearing tool" (you need to reach him by Instagram app) and ordered some of his tools to try them out.

I used his tweezers model 312, 612 and the bigger and stronger model 8mm+Mag for the first time yesterday, so far all I can say is clearly they werent made to extract welded/corroded bearings on blind spots but to help to take bearings still in good shape from blind spots and from open spots, I actually dont have a proper tool to take bearings out from blind spots or even open spots, as I said I was using a pick tool with bent tip to release good shape bearings from any of those spots, well, the tweezer spring action Bearing pullers from BadBearingtools do the same but work more as an extention of you hand or likely as long nose plier which all it does it to help you reach the bearing, locking it up and pull gently, sometimes you need to make some twist here and there to help to take the bearing IMHPO this bearing pullers works 3x better than my ex-current bent tip picks.

I also bought a Heavy Duty spool pin extractor which work based on the same idea of the "hedgehood studio tool" but I only bought his Heavy duty model which work on tranx 500 spool, trinidad and torium spools and few other of those same reels, I need to say that this tool also worked pretty good, I still dont know if I will stop using my modified locking pliers that were working good enough for this task, time will tell how long that XHD Tuner pro (spool pin remover) last.

there are already some videos that show the Bearing Bad tools in action but I made a short video of the tweezer tools models I used on a SHimano trinidad 30a reel

The Baja Guy