Bearing Bad tools

Started by JK47, November 20, 2019, 10:32:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JK47

After getting bit with the Newell bug, finding this site, rebuilding a few Newells with bearings, Brian's drag stacks, stainless sleeves and dogs. I never really had an issue getting the bearings out with a small pick, but wanted the right tool for the job, and at a reasonable price. I think I found it by watching a youtube video by Tackle Advisors (I like watching the reel teardown videos).

I contacted the maker of the tool, Ernie Odviar through the email in the video. He promptly replied, and filled me in on pricing, two different sizes of bearing pullers for $30. Somehow we got talking about the Tranx 500 and he mentioned he made a pusher for the pin on the spool shaft as well. I had just picked up a Tranx 500 so I bought the pin pusher for another $30.

After seeing another Tackle Advisors vid on "the $1000 bearing" made of DuPont's Vespel Sp-21. I contacted Ernie again and picked one up for my Tranx, along with a few delrin bushings/bearings to replace the handle bearing when it eventually goes kaput on my Tranx and Trinindad.

FYI the $1000 price is just a gag, he has a sense of humor, contact him if you're interested. I won't post his email, but it is available in the youtube video. I wanted to share Ernie's tools with everyone in case you are looking for something like these unique items.

oc1

Ideally, you wouldn't pull a bearing out by the inside race.  That puts all the pressure on the ball cage.  The cage is the most delicate part and you risk ruining the bearing.  Reaching under to pull it out by the outside race is seldom possible.  Reels should be designed to you can push bearings out by the outside race.  Most times, all you would need is a small hole that you can poke a small awl through to push the bearing race up and out.

The whole ball bearing issue gets confused because the requirements for jigging and trolling are completely different from those of casting.  You can do a lot to a level drag or vertical jigging or trolling reel  ball bearing without making a huge difference in performance.  Sneeze on a casting reel spool bearing and you'll know it.
-steve

Zimbass

Hi JK47,

I saw the same video, and was in contact with Ernie too. He sure sounds like a fun guy. He has posted the tools to me here in Zimbabwe, so expect them soon. Will let you know how they perform on what I work on, namely baitcasters, and spinners ( under duress I do spinners ) !!

Small world.

Best,

Terry.

Never was so much owed by so many to so few.

Gfish

Nice simple lookin little bearing puller. A modified Kotter pin?
Steve(Oc1) is right. I'd only wanna pull on the inside race of a ball bearing if I was certain it was bad to begin with and I had a replacement ready. Then again it's called "Bearing Bad tools"...
Cool video. Thanks for posting.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

JK47

The Bearing Bad tool works on the same principle as the ReelSpeed tool.

steelfish

nice tool, thanks for sharing
The Baja Guy

Cadman

Quote from: JK47 on November 21, 2019, 03:51:49 PM
The Bearing Bad tool works on the same principle as the ReelSpeed tool.

I agree with you 100%

For those that bought the ReelSpeed(no offense to anyone) and paid $300, well guess what, this little tool does the same job the same way for $40.00. I'm not saying it is good practice to pull bearing out by the inner races, however the way that bass baitcasting reels are made, we are dealt with what we have. You have a bearing in a blind hole, and not many ways to remove a bearing that way. Anyway I ordered a set, a model 312 and a 612. I will put them thru the paces, as I will have a lot of reels to clean, since it is cold here now. I will let you know how it works for me. JMO

steelhead_killer

Mine came in Saturday. Full set with the pin pusher.  Owner is a great guy. I have been talking with him all weekend. He is a small shop and loves a challenge. Very creative dude. He is making me another tool for removing spool bearings that are corroded on the spool shaft behind the pin.  (Shimano Tekota) I'll let you know how thy work.

Andy
><)))">

oc1

Quote from: Cadman on November 24, 2019, 10:55:14 PM
Quote from: JK47 on November 21, 2019, 03:51:49 PM
a bearing in a blind hole, and not many ways to remove a bearing that way.
Only the toilet paper trick.  Alan described it again here not too long ago.  When you have to resort to toilet paper you will wish you had left those bearing shields in place.

With forethought, you could drill a small hole from under the bearing and out through the tail plate while the reel is still new and the bearing will still fall out.  That is, if the brake mechanism is not in the way. Then push with a piece of wire through the hole to help loosen the ball bearing if it's stuck.
-steve

steelfish

Quote from: oc1 on November 25, 2019, 04:45:42 AM

With forethought, you could drill a small hole from under the bearing and out through the tail plate while the reel is still new aring if it's stuck.
-steve

thats why the best time to service a reel is when is brand new, you can take all the parts out easily including the small bearings and add a nice coat of grease that many reels lack of grease on the most important places, but not many fisherman "believe" in the pre-fishing service.
The Baja Guy

Cadman

Quote from: steelfish on November 25, 2019, 05:39:11 PM
Quote from: oc1 on November 25, 2019, 04:45:42 AM

With forethought, you could drill a small hole from under the bearing and out through the tail plate while the reel is still new aring if it's stuck.
-steve

thats why the best time to service a reel is when is brand new, you can take all the parts out easily including the small bearings and add a nice coat of grease that many reels lack of grease on the most important places, but not many fisherman "believe" in the pre-fishing service.

I totally agree with you. When I buy a new reel, I always clean it first to make sure it is done the way I want it. I've never had problems taking bearings out of my reel. It's all the others that I have to clean and service

Brendan

Contacted ERNIE the day after Thanksgiving, ordered without paying, received them yesterday and paid today. Very easy. Can't wait to try them out.
Tight lines, Brendan.

Alto Mare

Nice job showing off that tool JK47, looks like Ernie got the right guy for the job!
I'm wondering how those tweezers would do on a well used reel, instead of a brand new one.
😏

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Cadman

Well, I received mine about two weeks ago, and have used it on over dozen reels. All I can say is that it worked like promised when I spoke to Ernie. Very well made, very affordable and it just plainly does the job I need it to do without the high investment cost.

Zimbass

Quote from: Zimbass on November 21, 2019, 02:22:04 PM
Hi JK47,

I saw the same video, and was in contact with Ernie too. He sure sounds like a fun guy. He has posted the tools to me here in Zimbabwe, so expect them soon. Will let you know how they perform on what I work on, namely baitcasters, and spinners ( under duress I do spinners ) !!

Small world.

Best,

Terry.

My bearing pullers arrived today. A bit slower here in Africa, than the rest of the world !!

Looking forward to using the, and hope they make life easier.

Ernie is an absolute Gentleman.

Keep you posted, as and when.

Best,

Terry.
Never was so much owed by so many to so few.