Custom Dominick-made Salmon Rod for Jennifer's Husband Nov. 24, 2019

Started by El Pescador, November 24, 2019, 02:46:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Fishing Hobby

Thanks for the plug on my wrapping jig ;D
It looks really nice with the longer alignment rod. I'd like to ship them with a longer one but it would really increase my shipping costs and they are not cheap for people to buy to start with. I figured the next best thing would be to make the alignment rod out of something cheap and just about anyone can find locally that way they can get a longer one if they need it.

Dominick

Yes, I bought a 10 foot piece and cut it with a pipe cutter into a 4 foot and 6 foot length.  I had to drill one of the stands that comes without the alignment hole so that it was more stable.  I am quite happy with the wrapper (here you go, another plug).  :) Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

El Pescador

Quote from: Dominick on November 24, 2019, 10:51:56 PM
I'm going to ask my photographer Wayno to come over and do his camera magic.  Despite all the kidding he is a pretty good cameraman.  Dominick

PRETTY GOOD????

How about REELY GOOD!!!!

I'll be over.

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

gstours

Wow Wayne, very nice rod.  I didn,t know the old man had it in him?  The coin and colors add a custom flair for sure.  You are very forntunate to have such a good wife and friends.  ;)   Great job Dominick.

steelfish

Quote from: Dominick on November 24, 2019, 08:35:29 PM
Thanks everyone for the compliments.  Don't look closely or you will see my mistakes.
I still feel the same way, but a rod builder with more than 30 years of experience told me that 90% of the people wont notice those mistakes if you dont point them out, but because you know where are the mistakes, you see them everytime, so, relax and enjoy your creation, I really liked it, specially the marbleling, looks like you got it, its something I still need to try.

Quote from: Dominick on November 24, 2019, 08:35:29 PM
It's turned into an expensive hobby.  I have $183.00 into another rod that I built..
wait till you want to buy blanks that cost more than that amount alone plus a guide set of Titanium and sic ring, etc, etc, a fishing rod with all the bells and whistles can be as expensive as you wallet allow.

congrats Wayne, you have a really special rod in your hands, planned and ordered by your wife and handcrafted by your good friend.
The Baja Guy

Fishy247

Nicely done Dom!! I like the marbling you've got going on there. Wayne- I'm looking forward to seeing you get some jumbos on that thing! Any thoughts as to what reel you're gong to put on it? (I mean other than purple...)

David Hall