Don's (Donnyboat) Recent Fishing Trip Nov. 2019

Started by El Pescador, November 27, 2019, 06:38:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Pescador

Don asked me to post a few photos of his recent fishing trip.  More than happy to assist.  Here is Don's email to me:

High Wayne & Jennifer,
I pulled the rock lobster pots Tuesday & Wednesday mornings, caught 9 all up, sending you some photos of the smaller fish we caught in the net tonight, Wednesday, we had already filleted the larger fish, they all consisted of Herring Taylor, Mullet , Pilch.

Also another photo of some of the rockloster, as I may have told you before, the lobsters come into the shallow water this time of the year, they shed there shells, berry them selves in the sand, for a week or to, till there shell gets hard again, then they start to move back out to sea, about 3 Kms/Day.

You will see in the photo of three whites that's what we call them after they shed there shell, there is also a red lobster in the photo, he still has to shed his shell.
Also today Wednesday, the two most productive pots yesterday had wobbly gong sharks in them, so that was a letdown, as the lobsters won't go into the pots if the sharks are in there, these sharks also eat any lobsters that are in the pot.
I don't mind if you wish to place this on the forum.

Cheers Patricia & Don.

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Swami805

Those wobby gon sharks are pretty cool looking, a picture next time if you can, hope they stay out of your lobster pots though. We used to call them carpet sharks ,pretty neat fish. Do you have pine cone fish there too? that's an odd bird of a fish as well.
Thanks for posting
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Hardy Boy

Those lobsters look delicious; wish we had them here. We have the same issue with octopus in our prawn traps; either no prawns or the empty shells of all of the ones they have eaten. Butt at least the octopus make good halibut bait !!

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

Benni3

Donnyboat

Yes thanks Wayne, I thought this topic could create some interest, & with the remarks from Sheridan & Todd, it  is,
     Sheridan, yes they are carpet sharks, sorry, I should have taken photos of them, but it was a very windy Day, and as the back of the boat was facing the waves, I was conserned of geting swamped, strong winds turn the front of the boat wind wards, then it leaves the stern vulnerable,  both were about 4 foot long, one of the pots, had an release gate so I managed to, undo that & tip the first shark out, the other had to come out the way he went in, so we had to place the pot on the deck, the get the shark by the tail, & drag him out backwards, as I was pulling the shark out my mate, Bruce was trying to auganise the fins & paddles.
   Todd yes we do have trouble with Occies, they empty the shell of the lobsters right out, I dont think we have cone fish here.
   the rocklobster we have here, does not have much flesh in the head, like the Morton Bay bug has, the rocklobster industery here is very large, with a lot of profectionals operating, as far North as steep point, just below sharks bay, it is worth many of millions of dollars. they export them all over the world, it is hard to buy a lobster under AU$50.00, quite often $80.00 each.
     Iwe placed some photos on the forum last year of me seting up the pot winch & the pot tipper, I am very happy with it all, cheers for now Don, & thanks again Wayne, your a great contributor to this forum.
Don, or donnyboat

Maxed Out

Those look mighty tasty Don. Are they easy to cook up ??

You say they come in shallow to molt. Do you only get a chance at them when they come in shallow ?? How deep do they usually live ?? Is it too deep to catch them ?? What are you using for bait in your traps ??

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Donnyboat

Thanks Ted, yes Ted there will be more molting on the next full moon, that is about the to happen December 12 here I think, but they will be almost all moved out to sea, by early January, there will be some come back in about March, so we should have fresh lobsters for Easter.
     for cooking you can boil them in salty water for about, 6 to 8 minutes after the water comes back to boiling, or you can remove them from the shell, and cut the flesh into slices, dip it into egg & seasoned bread crumbs & fry them, or place some seasoning into batter & fry it that way, a mate of ours, actually steamed some last year, just in water with out salt, and when they were ready to eat, it was amazing how salty they tasted.
    now I have a problem coming up. after the first of December, we can get blue swimmer crabs, in the estuary or ocean, after we pull the pots, and as from December 16, we can start demersible fishing again, for Snapper, blue bone groper, Western Australian Dhu fish & any other demersible fish, there is about 18 or twenty fish on that list, so it is a mater of getting our priorities right, tell ya, this retirment is a real problem. making me go balled, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Sharkb8

Well done Don them lobsters look a nice size they be great eating.

Kim

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Crow

"it is a mater of getting our priorities right, tell ya, this retirment is a real problem. making me go balled, cheers Don"

I guess that's why I took to retirement so well ! I was bald when I started !!

Sounds like pretty good fishin" !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!