body color restore UPDATE 10-18

Started by Christopher M Songer, September 22, 2019, 03:29:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

That Penetrol does look to work best.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Midway Tommy

Penetrol is amazing when used correctly. Most of the common fixes only last a short time when exposed to the sun and weather. Preparation is the key, though, with Penetrol. The surface needs to be free of all the haze, then wipe it on lightly and evenly with a rag, wipe the excess off and let it dry for a few days. I have used it on matte graphite rod builds (I hate matte rods) to get a nice sheen that's tough and adds virtually no weight to the rod. I've also used it to restore dull laminated glass on all of my old Bear recurve bows. Every rod I build for myself has cork handles and I use Penetrol to seal the handles, too. It darkens the cork just a little and adds a slight sheen, but it prevents chipping and keeps them from getting oily and so dirty. It also water proofs the cork. It's good stuff!
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

oc1

Sounds like the magic elixir.  But, if it is made of natural oils, then how does it make paint stick to almost anything?

Don't worry, I'm going to get some anyway.
-steve

PENETROL FACT SHEET
Description
Penetrol is an air-drying, film forming, deeply penetrating mixture of natural oils. It does not contain linseed or fish oil, has a low odour and is non-toxic when dry. With a penetrating power 3 times that of water it goes deep into the substrate and forms a strong bond for subsequent topcoats.
Purpose
Penetrol stops paint form peeling, cracking, and flaking; increases paint flow and levelling. It brings life back to faded wood stains, rejuvenates old dull plastics and fibreglass, and makes paint stick to almost anything. Penetrol stops and prevents rust, corrosion and oxidisation. It can be used in confined and damp areas and reduces fire and fume hazards. Withstands temperatures of over 100°C.

Ruffy

Fred, would you recommend penetrol for quick spools that have got that white haze to them?

Cheers,
Andrew

foakes

Yes, it works well on those, Andrew --

Here is one that I cleaned with a toothbrush and Penetrol on an old 60 year DQ 238.  Let the Penetrol soak in for around 15 minutes -- then wipe it completely as dry as possible with a microfiber cloth.

The white fading on these generally comes back within a day, or so -- with other products.  I treated and cleaned it with Penetrol last Sunday afternoon -- 5+ days ago.  Just checked it before it gets shipped out tomorrow.  Still shiny black.

Pretty easy, and seems to work well.  I have used Penetrol for a couple of years now.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Ruffy

Quote from: Midway Tommy on October 21, 2019, 04:56:29 AM
Every rod I build for myself has cork handles and I use Penetrol to seal the handles, too. It darkens the cork just a little and adds a slight sheen, but it prevents chipping and keeps them from getting oily and so dirty. It also water proofs the cork. It's good stuff!

Any tips or warnings Tommy? How many coats? Just got a new Wilson Venom rod (fancy Australian rod) with a cork grip and am thinking I should do this.

Cheers,
Andrew

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Ruffy on November 26, 2019, 08:46:04 PM
Quote from: Midway Tommy on October 21, 2019, 04:56:29 AM
Every rod I build for myself has cork handles and I use Penetrol to seal the handles, too. It darkens the cork just a little and adds a slight sheen, but it prevents chipping and keeps them from getting oily and so dirty. It also water proofs the cork. It's good stuff!

Any tips or warnings Tommy? How many coats? Just got a new Wilson Venom rod (fancy Australian rod) with a cork grip and am thinking I should do this.

Cheers,
Andrew

I usually only do two coats. The first coat will dry fairly fast, in a day or two, because it soaks in. The second coat will take a little longer because it is already sealed. I usually let it sit a week or so before I use it. You'll be able to tell when it's no longer tacky. I lay them horizontal and rotate by hand as I brush it on. I also put some newspaper under it to soak up any drips. It's not toxic or really smelly so you can do it inside. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

steelfish

good stuff this penetrol

somehow I havent seen this thread before
The Baja Guy

Lunker Larry

Quote from: Dominick on October 19, 2019, 10:49:38 PM
Quote from: Benni3 on October 18, 2019, 12:32:14 PM
A old thick for cars is black shoe polish,,,,,,,, ;D

Black shoe polish does work somewhat.  Someone told me that Pledge works also.  Also Pledge for gaskets on outboard motors.  Dominick

Pledge works great on restoring your plastic windows also.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

smnaguwa

Would it work for plastic auto headlight cover haze?

Christopher M Songer

They cleaned up nice with the Penetrol and sold fast.
Always go forward, never go straight

foakes

Good job on those Line Counters, Christopher!

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Benni3

Quote from: smnaguwa on November 29, 2019, 12:48:16 PM
Would it work for plastic auto headlight cover haze?
wet sand with 400grit 3m wet sand paper,,,,,,clean with alcohol,,,,tape them up,,,,find some hi quality spray can clear coat,,,and just put a light coat on them,,,,,,,, ;D