Bulk HT-100 Source

Started by Farmer Mike, December 01, 2019, 01:04:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farmer Mike

I am replacing drags in various conventional Penn (long beach, squidders, jigmasters, senators, peers...)  and am looking for a source of bulk drags washers most are older brass washers stack with fiber or leather which are no longer functional.  I just want to replace the 1 washer under the main gear and the 3 non metalics.  These are bought low, cleaned and resold so not for personal use.

Buying the complete drag stack with SS washers does not make sense for the lower value reels which sell for $10-15 as the drags are over 1/3 the value of the reel after labor.  Even at $1.00 each plus shipping still puts the cost ahead of the reel's final value when you add in labor and aquisition.

Also trying to avoud haveing the delay of reordering parts as I need them.

Thanks

Tiddlerbasher

Punch/cut your own from a sheet of cabontex/cf. Punching is the easiest/cleanest way to do it.
I get my sheets from this guy in Oz.

https://downriggershop.com/products/carbontex-drag-washers

foakes

Hi Mike --

If you check with Maureen at Mystic -- or Dawn at Smooth Drag -- they may cut you a deal if you buy 100 of each size you are needing at a time.

Then also get Delrin under gear washers from the same sources.

If the drag stack is greased with Cal's, and a under-gear Delrin with no grease, just dry -- the reels you are refurbishing will operate and function better than new -- and the drags will likely outlast the fisherman, if done right.

Fishing reels are tools -- their value is in how well they perform when needed -- not in how much you paid for them -- or charged for them. 

A poorly functioning reel cannot be bought too cheaply -- a perfectly functioning reel -- one cannot put a price on.

Do the drags right -- then sell the reels for a fair price, by explaining to folks what goes into one of your finished products.

Any knowledgable fisherman would rather have even a rough looking old Penn reel that has been properly set up, restored, and serviced by you -- a competent professional.  A reel that will not let them down when the fish are biting.

Do it right -- and you will never need to look back.

Best, Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Gobi King

Look at the size guide posts and figure out from there and price which one make sense to use, I am pretty sure I bought one size that was 85 cents a washer and I use it in most reels, even in bigger spinning reels as I am not looking for crazy amount of drag.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

alantani

cutting your own carbon fiber drag washers is a miserable task.  i just order from either mysticparts.com or smoothdrag.com.  it's just worth getting half of the dust on me and inhaling the other half.....   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tiddlerbasher

Alan if you punch/stamp them with wad cutter punches you get very little/if any dust ;)
It is a much cheaper option than buying ready made.

alantani

True, but is still a task I'd rather avoid.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

I used to punch out washers by the hundreds and it does make a lot of dust that I ended up punching washers wearing long sleeves shirt, long pants, socks, shoes, and gloves. Now I buy them from Mystic Parts and SmoothDrag in the sizes that I need.

If you add the cost of the punches, and unless you are punching hundreds and hundreds of washers, you are better off buying pre-cut washers.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Three se7ens

Ive tried some of the knock-off brands (cfdrag on ebay in particular), and been seriously disappointed with the performance.  Its low QC chinese junk, and my failure rate from cutting has been around 20-30% on average, and some batches as high as 60%. 

Alto Mare

Quote from: Three se7ens on December 02, 2019, 06:40:31 AM
Ive tried some of the knock-off brands (cfdrag on ebay in particular), and been seriously disappointed with the performance.  Its low QC chinese junk, and my failure rate from cutting has been around 20-30% on average, and some batches as high as 60%.  

You are correct Adam! I must say though that I have been using sheets from Eric ( cbdrag ) for a while and have been doing good with them.
I believe the problem here is with the eared CF washers, those function differently. Must of the stress is directed to the ears on the outer edge and not the full washer.
Eared carbon fiber washers need to be very tough with a tighter weave.

I've personally tested a few sets for your kits , most did good at the expected numbers, but you wanted better.
They failed to close passed the the max numbers you were expecting.
The latest you've chosen for your kits are very good.

Quote from: Bryan Young on December 02, 2019, 05:59:14 AM
I used to punch out washers by the hundreds and it does make a lot of dust that I ended up punching washers wearing long sleeves shirt, long pants, socks, shoes, and gloves. Now I buy them from Mystic Parts and SmoothDrag in the sizes that I need.

If you add the cost of the punches, and unless you are punching hundreds and hundreds of washers, you are better off buying pre-cut washers.
Yup! I have a couple of sets of Matthew Punches that will cut the ID and OD at the same time. I found them online, used at a very good price.
Although they do not make much dust, I rather purchase pre cut washers.
The cost isn't bad today and keep in mind they will last for some while.

Not related but close...
It's like purchasing a $300 toilet, this one always gets me.
I tell my customers some go in for 30-40+ years with very little maintenance .
That toilet will eventually owe you money😂.

By the way, I just purchased a dozen or so kits of the Ultimate Drag kit.

I told my buddy I've been home for two months due to my health condition and would like to keep busy on assembling  some Squidders and Surfmasters 100&150...two of my favorite reels.
The Ultimate Kits from Bryan Young are doing a great job.
I've been getting good feedback for a while now, a very good upgrade and I love it.

I still cut my own washers, but only when I need a size that you don't run into too often, or when I'm short on one or two washers. punches are good to own if you like to work on reels.

Bri- Bri, thanks for putting those in the mail the very next day I contacted you.
You never cease to amaze me .
Oh, I did not forget. I still need to pay you🙂

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Farmer Mike

Thanks for the responses.  I figured if there were options some one would know.  I don't fault suppliers for the costs of overhead and keeping inventory.  I find Mystic especially helpful with good diagrams and abiltiy to cross reference parts. 

Tried to call Penn directly but was on hold for awhile.

Went straight to Mystic Parts got what I needed.