HERE'S WHAT A POPULAR CEDAR PLUG LOOKS LIKE

Started by Dominick, November 16, 2011, 12:30:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

Wallace:  if the article is correct, then the blue is being hit more because of its position in the lure stack.  I will move it around more and see if that works.  Actually, on the spring trip, I put out 2 blues, 1 natural, 1black and purple, and 1 red with black head.  The 2 blue got most of the action.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

wallacewt

qcguy4198

Dom,
Thanks for the great info. on these plugs. I see them around a lot in Tackle shops...but ( at least down this way..in So. FLorida...) I don't hear much about their use. Never heard about "tuning" one for example.
IF the ocean ever lays down around here....I might have to give a blue one a try. In our waters at least...I can see that one looking like a flying fish on the surface, which oughta get a lot of attention.

Dominick

Quote from: wallacewt on November 20, 2011, 11:32:55 PM
me, id try using all blue.cheers dom

Wallace:  I traded emails with Gene at TunaTec.  I ordered 6 more blue cedar plugs.  You are right, I'll try using all blue plugs.  I'll resurrect this thread when I see how all blue works.  Not very scientific though, I might put in a black one to see if it gets hit also.  Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

wallacewt

hey pesca,not very scientific,it was written by a scientist,not a journalist trying to be a scientist,now fair crack of the whip dom.all blue plugs,drip filled with fish oil.you can get 1 in the intensive care ward,everyones got one,berley or chum bag over the back and away you go,and good luck. i was speaking with gene and ill order some plugs

Dominick

wallacewt

hi pesca, black or natural not sure.they will be here this week.im going to stick a thin silver reflective tape on the underside of the plugs.i dont think colour matters at all.according to the scientist the idea is to hook the lead tuna and the rest will go into a feeding frenzy.then you can use anything at all. i have designed a cheap daisy chain to try.have seen empty beer cans used for sail fish.has any body seen radar at work to pick up the birds.sry off subject.cheers mate

redsetta

Yeah Wallace (re: radar), my neighbour's brother-in-law has it on his boat and does 'hit and run' missions chasing down birds, hooking up, then back home for tea.
I'm yet to fish with him, but I'd say it'd help to be 'well monied' and have a fast boat, though.
Apparently his maxes at near 60kts!
S'posed to be very effective (if the birds are working).  ;)
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

wallacewt

i got my plugs,black.
heavy,i thought they would float head down?and bob.
not very well made,but cheap
no hooks but gene told me that so ill improvise.
mustad dont make 3412dt hooks anymore.
i think we can go fishing  sunday 15th.
any help appreciated.

whalebreath

You can sometime find those hooks on EBay-tomorrow if I have time I'll put up some photos on how to rig them a bit differently.

And Yes Cedar plugs aren't the best made lures and seem like they wouldn't work all that well.

Dominick

Wallace:  I don't know what you expected in the cedar plugs.  Gene's plugs are more or less what everyone else is selling.  Gene's are tuned.  The will float on the surface when trolled and kick up a splash which mimics a fish feeding.  What kind of help do you need?  I tried searching for needle eye hooks on the Mustad site.  There does not seem to be a 3412DT anymore (at least on Mustad's site).  They do make another needle eye hook 7690 DT.  I have some 3412 DT I can send you (8/0 size).  I think I can buy more from Charkbait.  PM me with an address and I will get them into the mail to you.  I rig the 8/0 with 150lb Momai leader about 6 feet long with a barrel swivel on the end.  You have to crimp the hook and swivel.  Let me know if you do not have the crimps.  I think I some left.  Let me know what you need.  Dominick

wallacewt

whalebreath,pescachaser
ive rigged mine up today,it will be interesting to compare.
i dont need any gear thanks.
i used swinging hooks

Dominick

Quote from: wallacewt on January 06, 2012, 08:34:44 AM
whalebreath,pescachaser
ive rigged mine up today,it will be interesting to compare.
i dont need any gear thanks.
i used swinging hooks
Wallace:  What is a swinging hook?  Does it have a needle eye to fit inside the plug?  Dominick

wallacewt

it doesnt fit inside.it trails.
i dont have a camera at the moment but will post one when i can.
no hurry,i havent heard of any tuna yet.
we have had rotten weather past 4 weeks
very hot,strong winds,rough seas
no good for this old bloke

Dominick

Quote from: wallacewt on January 06, 2012, 10:21:33 PM
it doesnt fit inside.it trails.
i dont have a camera at the moment but will post one when i can.
no hurry,i havent heard of any tuna yet.
we have had rotten weather past 4 weeks
very hot,strong winds,rough seas
no good for this old bloke
Wallace:  I suppose a trailing hook would work okay.  I don't know if you are familiar with cedar plugs and how they are usually rigged.  If you look at the pictures at the beginning of this thread you will see that the hook rides straight up as the lure splashes side to side.  I am anxious to hear how well the plug works with the swinging hook.  I hope the weather breaks for you and you are able to get your old bloke bones out on a boat.  Dominick