HERE'S WHAT A POPULAR CEDAR PLUG LOOKS LIKE

Started by Dominick, November 16, 2011, 12:30:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish, Jigtosser (+ 1 Hidden) and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Dominick

Quote from: wallacewt on January 29, 2012, 03:04:57 AM
got out yesterday(sat) and what a disappointment with the plugs.they tracked straight and never moved off line.(6knots)could be the heavy mono+plastic sleeve.ive got some soft 100lb mono,ill strip them all down and try again next trip.(tues) got 7 crays(lobster) 1dhu fish. 
Hey Wallace, at least you did not get skunked.  With regard to the plugs what were you expecting.  I am not sure what you mean they never moved off line.  The plug does move in a straight line.  Where in the water behind the boat were you putting the plugs.  At trolling speed for Tuna (7-8 knots) the plugs should ride the crest of the third and fourth waves.  100lb mono is okay.  I know you saw the video of the man with the Shimano Tranx using a plug that wandered from side to side, but the cedar plaugs you bought do not do that.  I'll look for a diagram that explains the positioning.  I probably have it somewhere in my fishing library.  I'll scan it and attach it here.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

wallacewt

hi pesca
i thought they were suppose to jump side to side
i dont want to work the plug to give any action(lazy)
i tried all diff; waves behind,plugs are just as lazy as me(ran straight)

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: wallacewt on January 29, 2012, 09:52:29 AM
hi pesca
i dont want to work the plug to give any action(lazy)
i tried all diff; waves behind,plugs are just as lazy as me(ran straight)

Wallace, that makes the plugs and you two peas in a pod! ;D  There's too much other stuff to do when yer mug is "just fishin'".  You're being schooled by the plugmaster. 8)
Take care, mate.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

wallacewt

norcal,your right
plugs and me both got the sack for inactivity

Dominick

Quote from: wallacewt on January 29, 2012, 11:34:45 PM
norcal,your right
plugs and me both got the sack for inactivity
Hi all.  Wallacewt sent me this email and photo.  He had a problem with Photobucket crashing on him.  He probably put his own photo on the site causing a catastrophic crash.
hi dom
1st plug has 300lb downgraded to soft 100lb mono,thats all.
2nd plug stripped of everything.
100lb mono
mustad 9/0 penetrator offset hook
plug balanced
both plugs have 5ft leaders
try offset hook for more action

kind regards wallacewt

Quote from: norcal pescador on January 29, 2012, 05:26:28 PM

Wallace, that makes the plugs and you two peas in a pod! ;D  There's too much other stuff to do when yer mug is "just fishin'".  You're being schooled by the plugmaster. 8)
Take care, mate.
Yo Rob:  That is Mr. Plugmaster to you ;).  Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

redsetta

Quote...plugs and me both got the sack for inactivity.
Classic ;) ;D
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Bryan Young

Here's a photo from Joe Thrasher (Kona) catching a marlin using a cedar plug.  These thing do catch fish.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

fishnazzi

Kinda wonder how the season worked out down there. I read most all the posts and noticed that no-one mentioned the fact that cedar plugs are a lot like hard metal surface iron. Though they all "swim" and have a particular action.......the ones that get bit like the one in the first post.......swim just a little different. If you got a plug the fish have chewed the paint off...........don't replace it with "another one just like it" it may not swim the same. Because they are made of 2 components wood and lead........the margin off error does exist.......Commercial jig fishing we pulled the whole set all the same color........kind of like that sport fishing to........
Fishing as often as possible with my son and as many veterans as I can.

Dominick

Fishnazzi:  I heard that before.  Yes, I will fish that plug until it wont catch fish anymore.  Dominick