Main Menu

Ocean Creatures

Started by Dominick, December 03, 2019, 11:42:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

philaroman

oh, that's just stuff that looks big & scary...
it's the cute, tiny SOB's that send shivers up my spine,
even though I'm on the other side of the globe
box jelly; blue-ringed octopus; cone snail --
if I ever get to Australia, I AIN'T WET-WADING!!!

steelfish

nice info and pictures, thanks for sharing Dom
The Baja Guy

oc1

The kayak picture made me shiver a bit.
-steve

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Dominick

Quote from: philaroman on December 04, 2019, 01:03:54 AM
oh, that's just stuff that looks big & scary...
it's the cute, tiny SOB's that send shivers up my spine,
even though I'm on the other side of the globe
box jelly; blue-ringed octopus; cone snail --
if I ever get to Australia, I AIN'T WET-WADING!!!

I had to google Box Jelly Fish and Blue-Ringed Octopus.  Wow! super scary.  Venomous creatures for sure.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

festus

Very interesting.  Just wondering if the coelacanth is still in existence?  I know they were considered extinct then rediscovered years ago.

Several folks quit swimming in the Tennessee River after I posted pics of muskie, paddlefish, and big blue catfish on Facebook.  If they saw these pics they'd never go back to the beach.

Lunker Larry

The coelacanth is still around. Saw a show where they found where a bunch of them were hanging out.
My buddy caught a 50" musky in front of this woman who was throwing a toy in the river for her jack russel. When she saw my buddy pull the fish up she quickly called the dog in. Picked it up and ran up to her car. Poor dog. I'm sure he's going to miss the river  :D
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

CapeFish

Quote from: Lunker Larry on December 04, 2019, 11:51:31 PM
The coelacanth is still around. Saw a show where they found where a bunch of them were hanging out.
My buddy caught a 50" musky in front of this woman who was throwing a toy in the river for her jack russel. When she saw my buddy pull the fish up she quickly called the dog in. Picked it up and ran up to her car. Poor dog. I'm sure he's going to miss the river  :D

Coelacanth  were discovered in the 1930's in South Africa, one was caught by a fishing trawler and JLB Smith, a famous ichthyologist, identified it and subsequently found more. There is a great book written about it. They are found of the Seychelles and our East Coast.

That shark trawling the yellow kayak was also taken here in South Africa. It happened to a friend of mine as well. His wife was paddling behind him and excitedly told him that there was a dolphin behind his kayak, turns out it wasn't a dolphin and she refused to go out on the sea again.

Donnyboat

Most of the box gelly fish are North of the 26th parallel, that is just south of Canarvon, the blue ringed octopus are all along the West coast to about Sharks Bay, they quite often come aboard a boat when pulling rocklobster pots, you have to keep your eye on the deck, to see if any have dropped out of the pot, but if you stand on one as it is working its way across the deck, you would be very unlucky to get bitten as there beeck is on the bottom of there body, Walking around reefs and so on is where you have more chance of being bitten, but very rare to have any trouble, they do make you very noircie, abit like sea sickness, not many people loose there life from one. sorry about the spelling. cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Ruffy

We've got saltwater crocodiles here in Darwin (north Australia), but I am more worried by box jellyfish. Jellyfish free season is June to September; we were down at the beach with our dog having a swim about two days before June this year when my daughter ended up with a boxie wrapped around her leg. Was an interesting few hours, now she's got a crazy story for family and friends down south...

Crow

Gosh !  Sorry she was "exposed" to that !  Glad she's OK !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Donnyboat

I spent over 12hours in the ocean in 1964, I had a lot of stings from blue bottles, but they never maid me sick, or maybe thats been the trouble ever since,? cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Ruffy

Quote from: Crow on December 17, 2019, 12:13:03 PM
Gosh !  Sorry she was "exposed" to that !  Glad she's OK !

It was a scary few hours. She's as high as a kite in that photo, hence the smile. She's one tough cookie though; I've had them on my hands before from small ones getting stuck in cast nets but when I was carrying her out of the water I got a small bit across my chest. It didn't get me too bad because of the hair on my chest, but I've never had burning pain that intense. Can only imagine what she went through with one wrapped around her thigh.

Alto Mare

I'm glad she's ok... cute young lady...

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.