Sleeper Mag 10

Started by xjchad, December 05, 2019, 06:37:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xjchad

I've always been fond of sleepers.  Unassuming and basic looking on the outside, but something monstrous lurking under the hood.  My cousin had an old faded Datsun 510 that we shoe horned a small block chevy into.  That was fun  ;D

I just finished this sleeper Penn Mag Tuned 10 for a customer in Oregon. These are such great little reels that can be used for a variety of species and techniques.  He'll be using it for surf, rocks, and jetty fishing and these upgrades will allow for stronger line and help keep the larger fish out of structure.

This reel was upgraded with the following:
-Replaced the 30-10 stand/foot with a stronger 30-49 unit that also allows for a rod clamp (using custom spacers and screws).
-Replaced the stock brass gear sleeve with a stainless steel sleeve.
-Shimmed the gear sleeve with a .010" shim to reduce excess handle play.
-Added a second anti-reverse dog to the bridge.
-Upgraded the drag with Carbontex washers and Cal's drag grease.
-Full disassembly, deep clean, and lubrication.

Husband, Father, Fisherman

Decker

Sweet reel, Chad.   The 10 is one of my favorites.  The spacers with the 30-49 seat are key.

I didn't completely forget about your Seaboys  ::)  They will go out!

xjchad

Quote from: Decker on December 05, 2019, 07:01:54 PM
Sweet reel, Chad.   The 10 is one of my favorites.  The spacers with the 30-49 seat are key.

I didn't completely forget about your Seaboys  ::)  They will go out!

Thank you Joe!
No worries about the Seaboys, whenever you get around to it is fine with me!  ;D

mo65

Nice job Chad...really nice! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Maxed Out

Very nice Chad

Only thing I would change is those short screws on the seat. In the one pic it shows the stand screws not going thru all the threads. Might be a weak link

Did you try a 66 seat instead of shimming the 49 seat ??

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

xjchad

Quote from: mo65 on December 05, 2019, 07:22:51 PM
Nice job Chad...really nice! 8)

Thank you Mo!

Quote from: Maxed Out on December 05, 2019, 08:51:12 PM
Very nice Chad

Only thing I would change is those short screws on the seat. In the one pic it shows the stand screws not going thru all the threads. Might be a weak link

Ted

Thanks Ted!

The stand screws look a little short because they are not threaded in all the way in that pic.  I usually start all the screw loosely and then go back and snug them all down at the end.  they were cut to be flush with the inside of the stand.

I have not tried a 66 stand, but will definitely need to fine one to test!  Thanks!

steelfish

love the Sleeper theme reels.

that one looks pretty badA$$ Chad

The Baja Guy

mo65

Quote from: Maxed Out on December 05, 2019, 08:51:12 PM

Quote from: xjchad on December 05, 2019, 09:20:20 PM
I have not tried a 66 stand, but will definitely need to fine one to test!  Thanks!

The 66 is too wide. I held an old LB60 clamping stand up to my Mag 10 and I think it's a go! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Darin Crofton

God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

xaf

Is it the Mag Tuned 10 that has a plastic gear that drives the level wind?   

xjchad

Quote from: mo65 on December 05, 2019, 10:20:23 PM

The 66 is too wide. I held an old LB60 clamping stand up to my Mag 10 and I think it's a go! 8)

Mo, thank you!  I knew the 60 clamping stand is a good fit.  I bought one awhile back to scavenge the stand from, but then found out that they are kinda rare and decided to keep it with the 60.  Besides, I also fell in love with this 60 and am planning to do a few mods and fish it  ;D

xjchad

xjchad

Quote from: xaf on December 05, 2019, 11:14:31 PM
Is it the Mag Tuned 10 that has a plastic gear that drives the level wind?   

Yes, it has a white nylon gear in the left side plate that drives the level wind.

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Maxed Out

Now that's a sweet long beach Chad.

The clamp seats aren't super rare, just not very common. On average, I'd say about a one a month shows up on ebay
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!