sdlehr

Quote from: Reel 224 on August 25, 2016, 01:37:56 PM
Welcome Sam. That's a nice present Sid, but I didn't get one from you when I was new here.  :D ;D

Joe
Joe, aside from you being here longer than I, you didn't ask me for one :)

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

RowdyW

Gee, that's strange Sam asked me for a wrench too & I sent it off to him this morning.     Rudy

sdlehr

Quote from: RowdyW on August 25, 2016, 06:06:11 PM
Gee, that's strange Sam asked me for a wrench too & I sent it off to him this morning.     Rudy
Maybe that's why I didn't get a PM?
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

JohnDeereMoxie

All set all. Rudy got me covered.  I ran a post in this thread too, seemed more appropriate. I really appreciate the advice and generosity while being new to the hobby. Thank you so much for the warm welcome. Been busy the past few days so I have been slacking on checking my posts. Have a great day all! :)

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

kitchen scale for weighing lures after modification.

alantani

fishing tackle has been banned from my kitchen......   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

RowdyW

I guess that puts the dishwasher out of bounds.  ::)   :-\  :'(

Tightlines667

This is why you should not turn your dining room into a workshop...

Getting all new flooring throughout the unit in the next couple weeks
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: alantani on October 31, 2016, 03:48:25 PM
fishing tackle has been banned from my kitchen......   :-\

taking advantage for now while still single. again... :D

Midway Tommy

First off, I totally agree with Sal, a power screwdriver will never touch any reel I'm working on. I've used drill-drivers since they first came out with variable speed drills over 50 years ago so I know their uses and limitations and I need to have hands on to feel the torque needed.

Now, after spending most of my life and manual labor working career as a carpenter, framing, then finish, and later home builder, and owning and using only top quality hand and power tools I have to confess that just the thought of going to HF makes me nauseous. Once I finally got it through my head that you get what you pay for and most of their stuff are throw away tools anyway, I always keep that at the forefront of my mind when I need some little specialty item that only gets used now and then and it will most likely never wear out, at least in the years I have left. I've gotten a couple of cheap and handy little items from them like gasket, and also washer, punch sets that work good to make nylon, teflon, mylar and thin brass & bronze shims and washers every once in awhile. For only $14 after their normal 20% discount, here's one of the handiest tools in my arsenal and it works especially good on spinning reels. I don't know how many wire brushes I went through before I ran across these one day when I was at HF. I used to roll up a small piece of emery cloth around a tiny screwdriver shaft to polish the inside of worm gear/pinions and pinion and handle bushings. I use them now to brush just about every internal reel part after soaking, not just on the tube/hole applications. They're exceptionally nice for cleaning between gear teeth and I seldom use a mini wire brush nowadays.

A set of valve brushes, stainless, brass & nylon. I love these things!

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Alto Mare

Thanks for the tip Tommy, I usually prefer nylon, unless I happen to  find a soft stainless steel or brass brushes.

Those that you're showing would come handy.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

foakes

Great tip, Tommy --

Thanks!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

CH

Ah yes! Found my way into this section now.
A very interesting and very informative section it is too.
Just too much good stuff in this forum.
I see now the blossoming of a new pastime. And it goes nicely with my favorite pastime ---> FISHING!
Now if my eyes hold up...........onward.
Thanks! :)
L2F/F2L
DAM Quick Addicted

RJ23T

We all use the same basic tools, so what I would like to know is what "special tools" everyone uses.

Chop Sticks - I get 'em whenever we go out for Chinese. Get the real Bamboo though. The imitation ivory is ok, but just for making handy-dandy rod wrapping burnishing tools. The ends can be shaped by sanding, and I use them for detailing, grease diggers, burnishing, scraping etc. The bamboo doesnt splinter and is fairly tough but soft enough not to mar paint or aluminum parts. Better than fingernails for sure!

Women's Makeup Brushes - These are great for cleaning around all the little parts and crevices' you just can't get to with a rag or fingers. Get the Sable ones though. I get them from my wife and her friends. I even use them for applying varnish sometimes.

Sheep's Skin Wool - These are a genuine wonder when it comes time to dust off a reel fast or polish one up after repairs. They don't leave dust and strings and they last forever. I get my wife's leftovers from her leather work, but you can get bags of scraps from any leather supply house.

Cafeteria Trays - The best thing I have ever found to keep all the parts together when tearing down, cleaning and reassembling reels. Easy clean up too. I tried the metal trays but the plastic ones don't scratch paint and they don't look so beat up after a while.

Long Strips of Rough Leather - These are great for the metal foot reels like the old Zebco's when I want to de-oxidize them and shine them up a bit. But also works for a variety of other small parts like Bails and handles. I clamp my part in the vice between some smaller strips of leather and then take the long strip (about 8-10 inches) and soak one side with whatever metal polish or compound I think I need. Then, I polish using a kind of "shoe shine" motion. Flip to the other side with no polish or compound to get the shine.

For grease and oil when doing final assembly I use Penn Grease and Turbine Oil. The turbine oil can be purchased in what they call the Zoom Spout Bottle which makes precise placement a breeze and it doesn't degrade over time. It is paraffin based and will last a very long time.

jtwill98

I work on laptops, phones and other electronic items. The following two items I find useful when working on reels.  I noticed they have not been mentioned.   

A black stick spudger tool designed for working on phones. I use the flat end to help scrape away old grease and the pointed end to clean area old grease in hard to reach areas.  I realize you can other tools but the plastic tools don't scratch the metal. Here's a link to the item:   
Universal Black Stick Spudger Opening Pry Tool

A bench top mat for easy cleanup with the added benefit of having bins for storing small parts, screws, springs that can easily find their way to the floor. I also find the bins very useful for separating and organizing parts during disassembly.  It makes it easier to remember what parts go where during reassembly. There several options, sizes and styles so have a look and select one to match you needs, if you think it may be useful. The following link shows one exanple:
Soldering Mat Silicone Insulation Work Mat