osufanms

What do you guys use to apply cal's to drag washers for good coating but not being wasteful?

RowdyW

A flux brush works good, just trim it slightly shorter to stiffen it up.      RUDY

osufanms

foakes

Hi ous --

For me, I just use a stiff bristle flux brush like this, that I pay about 20 cents each for -- one will last me a year of steady use.  

Then just work it in with your fingers so there is penetration into the surface pattern on the CFs.

Some folks use latex gloves -- I do not -- that is just a personal preference.

Cal Sheets sez to use his grease on all parts of the reel.  

But I have had better results using Cal's only for the drag stack -- then Shimano Marine or Penn grease for all other internal parts.

So if I get a little too much on the drag stack -- no concerns -- what is not needed is squeezed out on a star drag -- and what gets mixed up a little with the Shimano or Penn grease is just fine.

I don't think economics enter in too much -- if you figure out what you spend for your gear, license, boat, fuel, and everything else you need for a good fishing trip -- any grease you might waste will not even show up on the expense chart.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Tunacious

Quote from: osufanms on April 09, 2015, 09:25:44 PM
What do you guys use to apply cal's to drag washers for good coating but not being wasteful?

I just use the cheap yellow brushes that are used to put flex coat onto rods. ;D I use them with Cal's/Shimano grease to apply onto the reel internals. I use my thumb and forefinger for the washers. Just dip my forefinger into the Cal's/Shimano and put a little dab onto both sides and rub it in real good. I use the same Cal's or Shimano grease for both the internals and drag washers.

TomT

I'm not sure they sell the 3 oz tubes in the Yamaha marine anymore.  I buy the 14 oz from a local Yamaha boat dealer and hand pack it into empty 3 oz tubes.  A little messy but works for me. ;)
TomT

RowdyW

The Yamaha grease in the 3 oz. tube is not marine grease. Different stuff. Hand pack it from the 14 oz tube.It's also sold in a 10 oz. squeeze tube but is not convenient.   RUDY

Lunker Larry

Tried this out the other day and loved it. Had a spray bottle of high gloss car wax by Turtle wax sitting by my work bench and decided to try it out on a reel. It works fantastic!! These car detailer spray waxes are more polymere I think and put a fantastic shine and smooth finish on the reel. I just sprayed a bit on a micro fiber rag and rubbed it on. It does not leave white on the reel like old style wax does and wipes/shines super easy. No work to it and it only takes a minute.
Dug out all the reels I had done and shone them all up. Just like brand new and no fingerprints from grease or oil  :D
FYI I tried it on a composite frame and although it cleaned it up and made the matte finish look better, it does not put any shine to it.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

Tiddlerbasher

I think this is in the context of this thread:

IMHO there is only one bearing grease packer worthy of consideration - The Boss's. I've had a pair of them for 3 years (really :o - it only seems like testerday). Old grease out and new grease in - even without removing seals - it doesn't get easier. Here is how I have set them up - No grease nipples - AT's packer screwed directly to a dedicated 3oz grease gun:

For all other grease jobs I use a mini thumb operated grease gun with an AT adapter screwd directly to it:

Ron Jones

I gotta get me one of the little ones!
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Yogi_fish808

Since I've been servicing a lot more reels, both my own and for customers it was time to look into an electric screwdriver. Even at 26 my wrists get sore after going through reels with regular screwdrivers :P Picked up this nifty gyroscopic one for $40 on ebay. Home depot, Amazon and Dewalt stores have it for $90. It senses how fast and what direction your wrist is turning and adjusts on it's own, no switches to flip just squeeze, turn and it goes. Pretty light weight, 2 ergonomic configuration options with a handy LED. I use Dewalt tools at work and they're reliable enough...rather have Makita but that's more expensive! http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DCF680N2-Gyroscopic-Screwdriver-Battery/dp/B00DL7QDS2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1459853291&sr=8-1&keywords=dewalt+gyroscopic+screwdriver

RowdyW

It is really a joke when people try to repair or modify their reels & don't have any tools to do the job. If you are going to get into it at least get the basic hand tools to do the job.  You need screwdrivers, straight, phillips, allen wrenches, files, pliers, etc. You don't have to spend a lot. You can get started with HF tools. And if you don't want to spend for a tool box to keep them in get a cardboard box.  :D Look over your reels to get an idea of what you need. Not everything works with a zipper.     Rudy

sdlehr

It does pay to invest in a good set of hollow ground screw drivers of different sizes... it's easy to bugger up a screw if you don't have the right equipment. Really easy. Sometimes it's really easy even with the right size screwdriver :)

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

RowdyW

But what about the guy that doesn't want to spend the money or is to cheap because he only has a few basic reels. Should he spend $500 or more for premium tools? It's a decision that you have to make according to how far you want to go. Maybe sometimes it's cheaper or easier to send it out & have it serviced.

FatTuna

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on October 27, 2015, 12:24:02 PM
I think this is in the context of this thread:

IMHO there is only one bearing grease packer worthy of consideration - The Boss's. I've had a pair of them for 3 years (really :o - it only seems like testerday). Old grease out and new grease in - even without removing seals - it doesn't get easier. Here is how I have set them up - No grease nipples - AT's packer screwed directly to a dedicated 3oz grease gun:

For all other grease jobs I use a mini thumb operated grease gun with an AT adapter screwd directly to it:

What brand are those grease guns? They look nice. Mine is junk. It leaks grease all over the place.

Anyone every try and put Penn blue inside the grease guns?