Lure storage phenomena 🎣

Started by gstours, December 10, 2019, 05:45:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

Shown below is something that might interest someone?    These imitation baites were stored on a shelf ina fairly dark environment for a few years.  The styrofoam seems to be degraded and made a perfect bed for the two lures.   

gstours

The lures seem to not be degraded.  I,m sure someone can explain what is going on here.   Thanks for your reply.🧐

Maxed Out

This is called "worm burn", and is very common to tackle boxes with plastic lined drawers and rubber lures. Umco tackle boxes are famous for worm burn. It's obviously some kind of chemical reaction, but that's as far as my high school education gets me.

-Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

oc1

Plano started making the first molded plastic tackle box in 1952.  Before that, tackle boxes were painted metal and always rusted, especially around salt water.  Your plugs and everything else in the box would get rust stains all over them.  Crème plastic worms were introduced at about the same time.  It took a few years before people realized that their new plastic tackle box was not compatible with their new plastic worms.  The plasticizers that keeps the worm soft and flexible leach out and start dissolving the tackle box tray.  It wasn't until 1974 that Plano came out with a "worm-proof" tackle box and they have been advertising their stuff as worm-proof ever since.  Better living through chemistry.
-steve

jon_elc

i recently read somewhere that Zman products are known to be incompatible with other plastics, causing a melty goo when stored together...

mo65

Quote from: jon_elc on December 10, 2019, 07:39:21 PM
i recently read somewhere that Zman products are known to be incompatible with other plastics, causing a melty goo when stored together...

Many different plastic products react badly when stored together. Not just the worms, but crankbaits and plugs will melt together also. One of my favorite debacles that my Uncle Lloyd produced...and he's produced a lot...was some worms he painted white dots down the sides. He was standing out in the driveway waiting on me to show, with his chest all swelled with pride. I jump out of the truck and he says "Hey, come and see this." He opens a compartment on the boat and pulls out this bag of worms to show me, but the paint had reacted with the plastic and it was all a puddle of slime! He says "That plaster right there wasn't all it was cracked up to be!" I nearly bust my gut laughin'! :D
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Dominick

Quote from: mo65 on December 10, 2019, 07:53:05 PM
Quote from: jon_elc on December 10, 2019, 07:39:21 PM

Many different plastic products react badly when stored together. Not just the worms, but crankbaits and plugs will melt together also. One of my favorite debacles that my Uncle Lloyd produced...and he's produced a lot...was some worms he painted white dots down the sides. He was standing out in the driveway waiting on me to show, with his chest all swelled with pride. I jump out of the truck and he says "Hey, come and see this." He opens a compartment on the boat and pulls out this bag of worms to show me, but the paint had reacted with the plastic and it was all a puddle of slime! He says "That plaster right there wasn't all it was cracked up to be!" I nearly bust my gut laughin'! :D
Good story.   ;D  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Tiddlerbasher

Plasticiser migration - it's been a problem for years and not just fishing tackle.
During the 60s and 70s the electronics market was mega (Yeah I know when wasn't it).
But a particular problem surfaced.
Mix a hard/firm plastic with a 'soft' plastic and 'BIG PROBLEM' - The soft plasticisers migrate to the harder plastic.
Exemplified by soft pvc cable touching , for e.g, a hard cased capacitor (an electronic component).
The result over time - component failure. This was a big issue.
Plastics, like people, don't always play nicely.
Overly simplified but I hope you got the point.

Midway Tommy

The thing that is interesting to me, though, and has yet to be addressed, is that while the bead board has denigrated into a nearly perfect form the rubber lures appear to have no decay at all.  ???  ::)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

happyhooker

So-called "rubber" skirts on lures like buzz baits will occasionally "melt" at the drop of a hat; I've seen them melt in the store packaging after you get them home, not to mention the mess in tackle boxes.

Frank

mo65

Quote from: happyhooker on December 11, 2019, 02:29:33 AM
So-called "rubber" skirts on lures like buzz baits will occasionally "melt" at the drop of a hat; I've seen them melt in the store packaging after you get them home, not to mention the mess in tackle boxes.

Hey Frank...when those spinnerbait and buzzbait skirts start to get sticky...just dust them with talcum powder. I'm not sure what it does, but it stops the chemical reaction. Even after you fish it again the skirts stay slick. I also treat my topwater frogs this way. Of course this only works when they are still tacky...not melted into blob.8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Midway Tommy

Cornstarch is also a good stabilizer for rubber jig bodies. All my jig bodies are in ziplock bags with cornstarch. They have been for twenty plus years and are still, other than a little film that instantly goes away in the water, just like new.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

philaroman

Quote from: Midway Tommy on December 10, 2019, 09:26:07 PM
The thing that is interesting to me, though, and has yet to be addressed, is that while the bead board has denigrated into a nearly perfect form the rubber lures appear to have no decay at all.  ???  ::)

not decay -- chemical reaction

nothing leaching out of Styrofoam to effect lures, but:

Quote from: oc1 on December 10, 2019, 06:43:33 PM
...plasticizers that keeps the worm [lure] soft and flexible leach out and start dissolving the tackle box tray...
-steve

side-note: had a can of DEET bug spray go off in a closed box -- turned some hard plastics mushy

oc1

Quote from: Midway Tommy on December 10, 2019, 09:26:07 PM
The thing that is interesting to me, though, and has yet to be addressed, is that while the bead board has denigrated into a nearly perfect form the rubber lures appear to have no decay at all.  ???  ::)
I think they shrink and get a little stiffer.  But, it takes a lot of plasticizer to keep a worm squishy and pliable so you might now miss a little when it crawls away.

The imprint in the foam is so nice that you have to wonder if there is an opportunity for mold making here somewhere.  You just need to speed it up and dissolve a denser foam or plastic.
-steve

oc1

Quote from: philaroman on December 11, 2019, 04:36:25 AM
side-note: had a can of DEET bug spray go off in a closed box -- turned some hard plastics mushy
Bug spray (just the thin coating you have on your hands) is one of he causes of sticky, decaying handle knobs on Shimano reels.
-steve