Value of a reel???

Started by Jack Hexter, December 12, 2019, 01:25:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Hexter

I'm in charge of a silent auction coming up for our fishing club to help finance a fishing trip for abused and abandoned kids. We charter a headboat and take about 30 kids fishing We have been doing this annually for 15 years and depending on finances, we will do one or two trips a year.

I have been given a Penn 66 Reel for this auction.  This reel in no longer made,  It's New in Box, never been mounted on a rod or had any line on it.  It sparkles!
But, I have no idea what it's worth to set an opening bid on it.  There is no New reels like this on e-bay or any other forum where google leads me.  Any suggestions of it's value.

Benni3

Not sure of the value on ebay this time of year,,,, :D but your in the right place and welcome from salem Virginia,,,,, ;D

wailua boy

Probably best to post a pic of reel for accurate price. The age of the reel and a few other factors will determine price and welcome to site.

Maxed Out

I would start the bidding at $40. Top dollar on eBay would be $60 range on a good day, but more likely $50. A pre 1960 green 2 piece box would add value

These are common reels and new in box can be found, really nice used one will get $20-25 on ebay with no box.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Bill B

Jack welcome, I agree with Ted that $40 is a good starting point. Good luck on the auction and good job working with the kids.  Please check back and let us know the final price.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Brewcrafter

I really like Maxed Out's thoughts - while commonly available prices may be at a certain level, especially on the big auction site, in my experience (depending on the size of the crowd and if there is a Hosted Bar  :D) when you have a charity auction, most of the folks in attendance are there (or should be there) because they want to support a good cause; not because they are looking for "deals".  I have seen many a charity auction item go for far more than what it is actually worth (and not just because of "alcohol fueled enthusiasm, although that can play a part in auctions).  And while this is certainly not true of everyone, a lot of folks will bid generously knowing that it can be a tax write-off.  Good luck with the auction! - John