Split Ring Pliars

Started by Keta, December 13, 2019, 02:52:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Some time ago there was a recommendation for split ring pliars and I can not find the thread.  I need a good pair and do not want to deal with trash that will not open a Owner Ultra or Hyper split ring.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

MarkT

HPA's will open those easily.  I use the HPA's and Texas Tackle.  

When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Tiddlerbasher

Lee I have used Texas Tackle in all three sizes - can't fault 'em :)
Some time ago I did try and find the OEM - all I did find was that they were made in Pakistan.
The Halco ones look functional too, but I haven't tried 'em.

MarkT

The TT type can only open a ring to the size of the 'tooth' and definitely struggle with the larger/heavier rings.  The bypass types like the HPA's can open to the height of the right angle jaw.  I don't know if there's a name for the HPA style but they are available from other companies too.  I got mine from Trophy Tackle in NY.  They ain't cheap!  I've had people on my long trips ask to borrow them since their pliers couldn't handle the big rings that the TT style bounce off of.  Most of my tools are ones that someone on one of my trips had... I ordered a new pair of cutters while on my last 10 day and had it waiting for me when I got home.

foakes

The cheapest tool you will ever buy -- is the one that works...

Quality materials, made for your lifetime and beyond, functions as expected -- and above expectations.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Dominick

Staple remover works for cheap.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

jon_elc

Quote from: Dominick on December 13, 2019, 07:00:55 PM
Staple remover works for cheap.  Dominick

You saw the same LifeHacks video (for opening keyrings) that my 11yo showed me! (or maybe you even made that video yourself   ;D )

MarkT

Lets see that staple remover open up a #10 Owner Ultra split ring wide enough to put on a 7/0 Jobu hook!

bluefish69

Quote from: MarkT on December 13, 2019, 03:36:46 PM
The TT type can only open a ring to the size of the 'tooth' and definitely struggle with the larger/heavier rings.  The bypass types like the HPA's can open to the height of the right angle jaw.  I don't know if there's a name for the HPA style but they are available from other companies too.  I got mine from Trophy Tackle in NY.  They ain't cheap!  I've had people on my long trips ask to borrow them since their pliers couldn't handle the big rings that the TT style bounce off of.  Most of my tools are ones that someone on one of my trips had... I ordered a new pair of cutters while on my last 10 day and had it waiting for me when I got home.

Mark

I heard that Trophy Tackle has closed. Sad day for me.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

JoseCuervo

Rapala has a fishing plier set that will handle even dinky split rings.

MarkT

Quote from: bluefish69 on December 14, 2019, 01:15:36 AM

Mark

Mike

I don't think so.  John has been posting on Bloodydecks today that he just got in more of the new Long Range version of the Nomad DTX 220's.

erikpowell

Quote from: MarkT on December 13, 2019, 02:54:53 PM
HPA's will open those easily.  I use the HPA's and Texas Tackle.  

Bula Lee,

These Texas tackle ones (green handle) are the best and most reliable I've ever had. Best $18 I ever spent on a fishing tool.Works on everything from the heaviest rings for big GTs to small inshore & river tackle.

The Rapala ones rust and snap off at the jaws eventually, but work ok for the smaller rings.

MarkT

The blue handled XL Texas Tackle pliers will open up rings a lot better than the L's as long as they fit inside the ring.

bluefish69

Quote from: MarkT on December 14, 2019, 01:42:53 AM
Quote from: bluefish69 on December 14, 2019, 01:15:36 AM

Mark

Mike

I don't think so.  John has been posting on Bloodydecks today that he just got in more of the new Long Range version of the Nomad DTX 220's.

I'll call tomorrow to check.   There were no new catalogs this year - yet
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Dominick

Quote from: MarkT on December 14, 2019, 12:23:30 AM
Lets see that staple remover open up a #10 Owner Ultra split ring wide enough to put on a 7/0 Jobu hook!

I don't know what a #10 split ring looks so I can't comment but I have used the staple remover on a bunch. Wayne gave me a Shimano split ring pliers and they work OK.  Thanks Wayno.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.