Alphamar (old series) dog spring upgrade

Started by Tile, December 14, 2019, 02:06:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tile

After getting hold of an Abu Ambassadeur Alphamar 50 old series I was curious to see its insides and spotted the potential antireverse problem right away. After a bit of crafting 2 antireverse additional dog springs resulted, obviously from a ball pen spring  :D . The Alphamar old series are almost identical to the first generation Penn Fathoms and may be possible to have interchangeble parts.

In solid fiberglass we trust

mhc

Nice work with the springs Tile, and good to see you're still upgrading your reels.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Tile

When I opened this reel the antireverse dogs were no engaging properly at all due to them getting misaligned. I had to put 2 washers on their posts to get them aligned and not bind at all. Now they are in line and engage correctly

Tile

Also the Alphamar now sports an all metal level wind line guide. I took delivery of a line guide for Penn Rival/Warfare 30 along with the cap, pawls and shims. In order to make it work I used a stainless steel pipe and a piece of an arrow shaft to reduce the diameter to 8 mm as the inner diameter of the line guide block is 9 mm and also I drilled the insert with a 4 mm drill bit so that the pawl can be installed.