Itty bitty Penn Reels bottle cap thingy from who knows when

Started by 1badf350, December 19, 2019, 09:49:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1badf350

A gentleman recently gave this to me and I was surprised because I have never seen another one considering how many Hardcore penn collectors there are. Maybe they are inconsequential and people don't post about them but if you have one please post a picture I'd like to see it. I'd like to learn the time frame in which these were made.

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

Maxed Out

We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

1badf350

-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."

Alto Mare

Chris, I have no idea when it was made, but I do have one as well.
It was a gift from Dan, one of of our members about 2 years.
I think mine is light green in color, but will need to check.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Penn Chronology

Exactly. Back in the 1950's and 1960's we got our soda in glass bottles with metal caps. They were not twist off caps, they had to be opened with a bottle opener or, for you guys that remember the nickname for the opener, it was called a Church Key If you opened a large one quart soda bottle, you would bend the cap. These plastic caps enabled you to reseal the bottle. Beer came in steel cans that we opened with the pointy end of the church key. So these Penn bottle caps were a very common item back in the 1950's and 60's. They came in many different styles. This was a Penn promotional item that was really useful.

When I was in the military, the bottle opener / church key was as important as your cigarette lighter. They were small and easy to lose, so we epoxied them into 20 mm shell casings. Those casings made perfect handles and you did not lose them. Being the obcessive compulsive kind of collector that I can be, I saved mine and still own them. They are obsolete, like so many others things in my life.

1badf350

Thats pretty resourceful Mike! I do remember those "church keys". I made a lure out of one when I was  a kid in the 80s. Caught a couple Bluefish in the brackish waters of the Chesapeake Bay before I lost it.
-Chris

Penn Chronology

QuoteI do remember those "church keys". I made a lite out of one when I was  a kid in the 80s. Caught a couple Bluefish in the brackish waters of the Chesapeake Bay before I lost it.

Never saw one made into a jig, but why not? Bluefish will bite at anything that shines. I used to make bluefish tins from the handle of old dinner knife handles, just cut off the blade, drill a hole at each end, much cheaper than buying a diamond jig. Wish I would have thought of "church key lures", I bet they worked great.

Cuttyhunker

I remember them for soda bottles as a kid in the 50's, Also "fishing is fun" from the 1950 Penn catalog, have to dig out Mike's yellow book for the first use of the term.  I'd bet it remembers Ike in the White House.
Doomed from childhood

Caranx

Quote from: Penn Chronology on December 22, 2019, 07:40:38 AM
Exactly. Back in the 1950's and 1960's we got our soda in glass bottles with metal caps. They were not twist off caps, they had to be opened with a bottle opener or, for you guys that remember the nickname for the opener, it was called a Church Key If you opened a large one quart soda bottle, you would bend the cap. These plastic caps enabled you to reseal the bottle. Beer came in steel cans that we opened with the pointy end of the church key. So these Penn bottle caps were a very common item back in the 1950's and 60's. They came in many different styles. This was a Penn promotional item that was really useful.

When I was in the military, the bottle opener / church key was as important as your cigarette lighter. They were small and easy to lose, so we epoxied them into 20 mm shell casings. Those casings made perfect handles and you did not lose them. Being the obcessive compulsive kind of collector that I can be, I saved mine and still own them. They are obsolete, like so many others things in my life.

Can anybody identify those cartridge casings?
I can't 🤷🏻‍♂️

1badf350

-Chris

Caranx

Penn Chronology

Since this post was originally about the Penn Bottle caps of the 1950's, here is a table of some of his old stuff from the collection of the late Mike Quinn (RIP). Some of you may remeber dealing with him at the Penn Service Department. All of these items are now in the wind.

Two of these old bottle caps are sitting above the 1939 catalog.