Is Penn 9 a knuckle buster like 109?

Started by jgp12000, December 21, 2019, 07:58:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgp12000

I am looking at a Penn 9 and currently have a 109 ,I am trying to research if it is a knuckle buster also?

Thanks for any insight!

wfjord

No, the 9 isn't a knuckle buster; it's a free spool.  If you prefer that size Penn reel, you might also research a Mag 10.

jgp12000

Thank you,a friend was cleaning out his shop and gave me a 109 I cleaned it up and it is so smooth I may use it for striper or catfishing,I really like the way they are built other than the knuckle buster thing I would like to get a 9 made in the USA though...

wfjord

You're welcome.  There's probably a huge number of older #9s on ebay, but you'd almost certainly have to disassemble, clean and re-lube most any of them to get one into tip top shape...  and that's what the alantani.com forums are here for! :)  There are plenty of folks here who would be more than happy to help you through it if need be.

By the way, welcome!

mo65

Quote from: wfjord on December 21, 2019, 09:48:51 PM
 There's probably a huge number of older #9s on ebay, but you'd almost certainly have to disassemble, clean and re-lube most any of them to get one into tip top shape.

This is the most fun part of these old Penns...they can be torn down and reassembled over and over...without degrading to a pile of scrap. They are very user friendly. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

oc1

I have never liked the 109 but am a big fan of the 9.  We have a long history.  The levelwind carriage and then the levelwind worm and pawl are usually the first things to go.  You're better off without them if that fits you style.
-steve

festus

The No. 9 is actually a trolling reel but can be cast efficiently with practice.  I have a couple I rebuilt and another parts reel. 

Does anyone know if an aluminum spool is available for a No.9?  Mine are chromed brass.

jgp12000

Off topic, but what grease/oil do you guys use ?

akfish

If you haven't yet bought your Penn 9, I'd recommend looking for a Penn 10. The 10 has the same size spool and frame as the 9, but ball bearings instead of bushings (so it should cast better), faster retrieve, and larger drag washers. A much better reel in my opinion.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

foakes

A lot of 9's and other Penn LW's are used up where we live for trolling with Lead Core for Rainbows, Browns, Kokanee.

All I do to improve these, is -- A full service, upgrade drags to Cal's greased CF's, a slightly larger handle, and a larger drag star.  Plus making sure that all 13 components of the Level Wind system are not worn, and are working properly.

A typical setup for me, is -- a ready to go "9" with colored and metered lead core, a 7' Okuma or Fenwick Rod, a 10' leader of 8#, and a Speedy-Shiner.  

Just add water...

Hard to beat the function and simplicity of these great Penn reels.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

Quote from: jgp12000 on December 22, 2019, 01:00:25 PM
Off topic, but what grease/oil do you guys use ?

Not off topic at all JGP...the lubes used in these reels can greatly change the performance of them. Using light oil on the spool bearings will free up casting, but can be a problem if you don't have a great thumb. Personally...I grease the bearings...and just wind up and throw it like a football...HA! The heavier grease slows the spool, helping me to not backlash. Penn blue grease is excellent for the gears. Like Fred noted, Cal's on the drags, it's designed for drags, and nothing works better. Any good synthetic oil for the levelwind parts, and go sparingly. Grease on the level wind will just collect dirt and sand...and ruin your day. 8)

jgp12000

thanks for all the info, also akfish,I replaced the bushings on my old shimano bantam with bearings and it made it soooo smooth.I haven't researched yet if I can replace the bushings on the #9 with bearings.I mainly bottom fish for stripers with a garcia 6500 at lake west point(GA) every year and if i do shore fish in Ormond beach or St Augustine,FL I use a spinning reel.I took my 109 apart and cleaned every part with alcohol and lubed it all.It is like new I have brand new reels that aren't that smooth.I look forward to getting a 9 or 10 that I can cast easier than the 109. I have seen some youtubE videos of guys casting with them,looks like a pain but I am sure like everything I could get use to it.

akfish

I do not believe there is a way to replace the spool bushings on a 9 with ball bearings. But remember the 10 has other features not found in a 9 -- more drag and faster retrieve. The 10 is a great little reel; the 9 is a good little reel.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

mo65

Quote from: akfish on December 22, 2019, 09:26:55 PM
I do not believe there is a way to replace the spool bushings on a 9 with ball bearings.

I doubt you'd ever need to do it anyway. Any gain in freespool would be trumped by the levelwind assembly dragging it down. Just polish the spool ends and use TSI 321...those bushings will spin better than you'd think they would. Polishing them up should make them feel smoother too...more like a ball bearing.