Is Penn 9 a knuckle buster like 109?

Started by jgp12000, December 21, 2019, 07:58:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oc1

I've come over to Mo's way of thinking.  It's the same thing that ABU said about the Ambassadeurs.  Bushings work as well as ball bearings.... at least in the smaller sizes.  When you factor in all the breaking that's needed to get the reel under control, the friction difference between bushings and ball bearings gets lost.
-steve

jgp12000

I will try that mo65, by polishing the ends of the spool you mean like with a wheel or dremel polishing attachment?

mo65

Quote from: jgp12000 on December 23, 2019, 08:36:31 AM
I will try that mo65, by polishing the ends of the spool you mean like with a wheel or dremel polishing attachment?

Yes. A large wheel might get you into trouble...it may remove material too fast. I'd go with the dremel. With the dremel you can also insert a tiny polishing fitting into the bearing(bushing) and polish it smooth too. I'll be honest...I've never needed to polish anything to get enough freespool. Just cleaning and light oil gives me the ability to produce a world class bird's nest. But...I know friends who have polished spool shafts to get optimum freespool. Also, don't forget to polish the pinion where the spool passed through it. Matter of fact, polishing that hole alone may give you the results you're looking for. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Alto Mare

Depending on the type of fish you do bushings could be better than bearing, especially if the reel gets dunked.
To polish the bushings I will usually use the stem on a Q- tip.
You might need to cut the side with a blade and remove some of the paper so it will fit snug.
I will also use a drop of TSI321.

For the spool shaft I don't use anything lower that 2000 grit.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

oc1

I use a bamboo skewer chucked into a drill motor to polish the bearing.  The steel journals can be polished by hand with very fine and oiled steel wool.
-steve

jgp12000

Merry Christmas Guys ! What PENN wrench do I need to get for my 9/109 reels?

Gfish

One thing that's helped me when looking at possibly buying a used Penn, is to check replacement parts avalibility from Mysticparts.com. Some commonly worn/broken parts from popular reels are no longer available.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

foakes

Quote from: jgp12000 on December 25, 2019, 03:02:45 PM
Merry Christmas Guys ! What PENN wrench do I need to get for my 9/109 reels?

I am out of town for a few days, JGP --

But if you can wait for a week, or so -- and send me your mailing information via a PM -- I would pull out a Penn wrench -- and send it to you for the little 9/109.

No Charge.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

jgp12000

jgp12000

I got this #9 today, it was a 1 owner reel,circa 1956 according to the seller.Looks like he took care of it.