Torium/Trinidad 16/20/30 Service Tutorial by mark mayo

Started by alantani, March 27, 2009, 02:25:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

i have some trinidad DC dogs and springs left.  if i can get your address, i will send them out. they are only $5 a set.  that should take care of the problem.  you honestly don't even need to change out the AR bearing and inner tube if you do not want to.  the spring loaded dog will now be your primary anti-reverse mechanism.  then do the standard drag and bearing service and maybe a handle grip upgrade and you'll be all set! 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

shimishimi

Thank for the prompt response. Will the Trinidad parts fit the Torium?
Seems to me in the Torium that it is only the dog/tongue against the gear that controls AR?
I am in South Africa...how does that play out with postage possibilities, etc?

Bryan Young

Yes, the parts in the Trinidad will fit the Torium.  if anything, doing the dog and spring upgrades and drags will be the minimum upgrade you should do.  parts are light and can be shipped with minimum postage.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

figure $5 for the parts and an extra $2 for postage. 

Gotfish

Hello,
Thank you for a great tutorial, very helpful for a complete beginner with a Torium 30. I went throuhg the tutorial and managed to change drag washers and one of the bearrings, could not get the one in the left sideplate out. However, I run into some problems after reassembling the reel. I have reassembled the reel three times and at two of these occassions i can easily pull the line out no matter how hard i tighten the star wheel. Once everything worked as normal but I dont know what I did differently. There is something about setting the drag at the end but I did not understand how to. Since English is not my native toungue I might have missed something, there are quite a few new technical terms. I guess this is also what happens when you dont know what youre doing and just follow the instructions. Any help much appreciated.
Rickard, Sweden

alantani

is the pinion gear properly engaging the spool shaft?  or could you have spectra that is slipping on the spool.

Gotfish

Quote from: alantani on August 25, 2012, 11:07:21 PM
is the pinion gear properly engaging the spool shaft?  or could you have spectra that is slipping on the spool.
Found the problem, key washer wrong side down. Made all the difference. Cant believe I missed that instruction, even capital letters. Do I feel stupid  ???  Thanks for the input anyway

Biggameaddict

This tutorial was nicely done and helped a lot. The only problem i had was the pinion gear did not come off the spool shaft, i didnt see any rust but it almost feels like its welded on any input on that? Also the reel becomes harder to crank. I put the washers in the correct order but does the thicker Belleville go on first or the thin one? Please help thanks.
Bga

alantani

to lift the spool shaft, stick two matching screwdrivers under the pinion gear and opposite sides and then gently turn both screwdrivers clockwise.  this should work.   :-\

Kayaker

Just did this drag upgrade, and followed the steps on #20 to remove grease from bearing, and use high quality oil.  The spool spins nice with handle, and in free spool.   But I notice it is noisier with the oil, rather than grease in the bearings.  Is this normal?

Also, I found that following step 24 to install spring clicker a lot easier as shown on the shimano site, than making special tools to hold it in place. ( not that there is anything wrong with that)  Instead of using needle nose pliers, I just held the spool, while spinning the star drag back on.

thanks.

Kayaker

Bryan Young

Quote from: Kayaker on January 23, 2013, 10:34:33 PM
Just did this drag upgrade, and followed the steps on #20 to remove grease from bearing, and use high quality oil.  The spool spins nice with handle, and in free spool.   But I notice it is noisier with the oil, rather than grease in the bearings.  Is this normal?

Yes, this is normal.  There is nothing in the bearing to dampen the sound.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Kayaker

Quote from: Bryan Young on January 24, 2013, 12:16:17 AMYes, this is normal.  There is nothing in the bearing to dampen the sound.

Thanks, appreciate the reply.  8)

LBG Saul

Thanks for posting this... i just finished servicing a 14 and also found not 2 but 3 loose tiny brass washers in the right side casing. I've neglected these and reassembled and cannot find anything a miss.
Also, with regards to the spring clicker, i simply held my breath and let the beads of sweat roll down my forehead while I used a toothpick. Worked a treat!

Irish Jigger

I have seen tiny brass washers fitted under the Yoke Springs on these reels. They do not appear on the schematics however.

MrAC1980

Anyone have a trick to remove the Drive Shaft?  I can't find a way to remove the c-clip!  When I spin it, it doesn't spin as freely as it should.  Tried to shoot it with carb cleaner and ReelX and same thing.  thanks.