Torium/Trinidad 16/20/30 Service Tutorial by mark mayo

Started by alantani, March 27, 2009, 02:25:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

i have to get in and really dig at some of them.  half the time, the c-clip is damaged.  i have a big box of assorted sizes, so i can easily replace them.  this one is always tough.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

I sometimes have to ask my daughter to hold the frame while I take to dental picks and push down at the same time...and it usually take several tries.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

pejerey

MrAC1980, I had the same issue.  I found that turning the shaft so that the opening of the clip was facing me and pushing away from me with two small flat screw drivers one on each end of the clip moved it enough to get a tool into the spaces to pull it off.  If that make sense. 

Can someone tell me if and what kind of lubrication should be used on the AR roller bearing and tube?

Bryan Young

I use CorrosionX on the ARB. Sometimes I have to flush it several times if the color is rusty. I do it until the CorrosionX is clear. Nothing is needed on the tube.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

pejerey

Thanks Bryan.  I suppose it is ok to put a thin film of grease on the drive shaft which will be under the tube.  When I took this reel apart I had a very hard time removing the tube from the shaft as it was corroded to the shaft.  I don't want that to happen again.

ram

I did my Torium 30 and the max drag I can get is 7 lbs.  Belleville washers are "( )" spool is properly seated in pinion.  I have checked drag washers and they are in sequence.  the only thing missing is the plastic bearing seal (key 270) in the drive shaft stack (the old one was shredded).  Anything else I can check?  or is it the Belleville washers have weakened?  thanks

alantani

ram

no, its all mono and the spool itself is turning when I apply pressure. thanks

MarkT

An earlier poster had the same problem with little drag and it was due to key washer being upside down.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

JP1

Hi All

Got my old trinidad 16n old after reading about the drag and dog upgrade. I can get the drag washer in the uk but cannot get the DC dog parts. Have you still got them available in the us? I was thinking about replacing the AR bearing too as is isn't as smooth as it used to be, are they still available. Finally what grease would you recommend to use on this reel?

Thanks Guys

keneke

Aloha All,

I just saw this stainless steel gear set for the Trinidad 16/20/30 on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SHIMANO-TRINIDAD-16-20-30-16DC-20DC-30DC-4-9-1-SPEED-STAINLESS-STEEL-GEARSET-/360757067318?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53fecbfe36

I am not sure how good the quality is (tolerances) and only a purchase would prove their worth, but they look pretty good. They are made in marine grade 316 stainless steel, so the gear's composition metal is tough. I was looking for the gear set for a Trin 30A, but the site said they are coming soon. Just thought some of you may be interested.

Regards,
Ken

alantani

keneke

You are very welcome Alan. FYI ... I am sure by now you are well aware that the gear ratio is slower than the original gear sets for those sizes of the gold series, Trinidad reels. I just took notice of them by googling the original specs for the models and they are 6.2 from the 12 to the 30 and 4.9 for the 40 and 50. The gear set on Ebay is 4.9 for the 12/16/20/30 and the DC models. Reduction means torque so if anyone desires just that in a reel for their type of fishing then that would be a great find.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

i think this is the same guy who was selling the 4/0 SS gears and not too happy with those gears, just a heads up guys....

keneke

Thanks for the heads up warning Mel! I will be wary of them in the future if the 30A's appear.