Torium/Trinidad 16/20/30 Service Tutorial by mark mayo

Started by alantani, March 27, 2009, 02:25:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

Alan does it this way

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=45.0

Others use http://reelspeedsouth.com/reelspeed-spool-pin-removal-pliers/ available via Smoothdrag.com

There are others available as well.  I just cannot remember the name so I have a hard time looking for the links.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

handi2

I just had one today that the pin pliers just wouldn't do it. I have to revert back to the vise grips to get it out. The pin pliers work if the pin isn't rusted in too bad.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

wendull

Is there any tutorial pics of a Trinidad 20A dissasembly here that I may have overlooked?

alantani

Quote from: wendull on December 22, 2014, 05:06:27 PM
Is there any tutorial pics of a Trinidad 20A dissasembly here that I may have overlooked?

no, but they are very similar. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

wendull

One of my toriums was spinning slow so I took it apart and the bearings that are attached to the spool spindle became rusted,and I know I just recently went through this reel,maybe I should grease those bearings instead of oil,but I know that will slow it down,so now I take them apart more often to lube the bearings,But my main concern is ...will the trinidadA become corroded as fast and need  more attention?

alantani

keep after the bearings.  that's the main thing! 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

sierra395

Hi Alan,
I was cleaning my reels and servicing the bearings.  I'm so impressed with the engineering of the new Trinidad's. However, a very old Trinidad 20 ave me a problem.  It has all of the upgrades like the mechanical dog, the Cal's drag plate, carbontex washers.  But I just stripped the brass drive shaft, rats! What is the best way to get this resolved?  Send the reel to Shimano, order the part and replace it or?  Is there an upgrade to the brass shaft that I can install?  Do you sell the part and is this a simple fix?  Thanks,

Ed Gonzales in Ventura

sundaytrucka

Quote from: sierra395 on January 11, 2015, 09:08:38 PM
Hi Alan,
I was cleaning my reels and servicing the bearings.  I'm so impressed with the engineering of the new Trinidad's. However, a very old Trinidad 20 ave me a problem.  It has all of the upgrades like the mechanical dog, the Cal's drag plate, carbontex washers.  But I just stripped the brass drive shaft, rats! What is the best way to get this resolved?  Send the reel to Shimano, order the part and replace it or?  Is there an upgrade to the brass shaft that I can install?  Do you sell the part and is this a simple fix?  Thanks,

Ed Gonzales in Ventura

I know Shimano did have a SS gear sleeve and drag plate upgrade that was sold as a kit, but I have only seen it for the 30 and 40 size reels for sale in aftermarket environment (bloodydecks). Last time I saw one up for sale the person said they bought the last three Shimano had.

Like I said, I have not seen one for the 20, but I would contact Shimano N. America directly and see what they have available as an upgrade, if nothing is available you can order the brass one while you are one the phone. You can also try Cal Sheets in Duarte, Ca area, he sold upgraded drag plates for the Trinidad, and may have some SS gear sleeves available.

Good luck.
I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.

MarkT

I would be leary about sending a customized reel to Shimano, they might remove all the non-standard parts and restore it to factory stock.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Bryan Young

Hi Ed,

All you need is to contact Shimano and order the new gear sleeve and possibly a new gear sleeve bearing.  I believe the Trinidad gear sleeves only come in stainless steel while the Toriums come in brass.  They are essentially the same part for the same size reel.

Also, as MarkT indicated, if you send your reel to Shimano, they will remove all of your upgrades and bring it back to stock, including drag washers, ar pawl,...

Hope this helps.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

sierra395

I ordered the drive shaft from Shimano on Monday morning and received my package of parts the NEXT day, today!  Wow Shimano, what exceptional service.  Tremendous! I'll fix the reel on the weekend and appreciate all the folks who offered suggestions. What a great community.

Ed Gonzales

Kayote

My roller clutch bearing on my TN14 got crusted up so I cleaned it, but it was still rough when turned. I ordered a new roller clutch bearing and roller clutch inner tube to replace them. I tried to remove the old bearing and the inner holder and bearings fell out. How do I remove the old crusted in roller clutch bearing?  Thanks

Bryan Young

You may want to look at http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1654.0

I use the same method with a drill press or a bench vise.

Snaphappy

Is it no big deal to eliminate the spring and little pin that serves as the drag clicker? I can't for the life of me get the star back on without the pin coming out.
NM. I just had to walk away for moment lol.