Penn 155 Beachmaster Line?

Started by Beachmaster, December 23, 2019, 11:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beachmaster

Bought two 155's off of ebay for my Dad and Brother as a Christmas present.  Cleaned and re-lubed and now I am scratching my head on what line to put on them?  They both have plastic spools so I am worried about the spools crushing under the pressure of mono stretching that I have read so much about.  They will be using them for inshore/surf fishing for redfish, flounder, black drum, sheephead down on the Texas / Louisiana coast.  What should I put on the spool first?  I have some 50# Dacron from BPS...would that go directly to the spool and then mono on top?  What pound test mono?  Thanks!

Donnyboat

the way I think, is, Dracon would be okay, but 40 or 50Lbs 8 strand braid would be finer, & you would get more on the spool, as for leader, I would not use much, but if it is lighter than the braid, then you have more chance, if something brakes, it is generally the leader & you dont loose half of the braid, cheer Don.
Don, or donnyboat

oc1

A Beachmaster would be too big and heavy for flounder or sheephead fishing.  Maybe OK for really big bull redfish or black drum.  There is enough line capacity to use the Dacron as backing and 20# to 30# mono.
-steve

Beachmaster

Quote from: oc1 on December 24, 2019, 08:29:44 AM
A Beachmaster would be too big and heavy for flounder or sheephead fishing.  Maybe OK for really big bull redfish or black drum.  There is enough line capacity to use the Dacron as backing and 20# to 30# mono.
-steve

Do I tie the Dacron straight to the plastic spool or should I use some masking or electrical tape?  Worried about it slipping on the spool...

akfish

If you tie a good knot and leave the tag end of the knot long so you can wrap line over it, you'll likely be OK. However, there's nothing wrong with tying the line, then putting a couple wraps of first aid tape over the line before you fill the spool. I'm concerned about using tape on metal spools because it can result in corrosion, but that's not the case with a plastic spool.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Beachmaster

Quote from: akfish on December 24, 2019, 05:36:11 PM
If you tie a good knot and leave the tag end of the knot long so you can wrap line over it, you'll likely be OK. However, there's nothing wrong with tying the line, then putting a couple wraps of first aid tape over the line before you fill the spool. I'm concerned about using tape on metal spools because it can result in corrosion, but that's not the case with a plastic spool.

I did just what you said.  I tied the 50# Dacron on the extreme left side of the spool with an arbor knot with enough of a tag end to go the width of the spool.  I then turned the handle and tightly wrapped one layer over that tag end.  I then took the first aid tape and I wrapped it tightly over the layer of Dacron.  Then I filled half the spool with the Dacron.  I then used a double uni-knot to finish off the spool with 20# Trilene Big Game Mono.