another diy power rod wrapper at low cost

Started by gstours, December 24, 2019, 01:31:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

Here is another possible link to help us find some tips, n ideas of how to make a low cost powered rod wrapper that is full of ideas.
    I got some ideas and maybe some of you will ....  Hand tools can reduce the cost.  Butt ;) how you do it is up to your skills and tools available.  Just saying it isnt furnature,  Just a hope to get you fishing. :)      Merry Christmas to All.

oc1

Nice one.  I especially like his speed control.
-steve

The Fishing Hobby

I have seen this video before. The problem with that design for me personally is that the planetary gear setup in a drill doesn't really allow you to turn the blank at all by hand if you need to without loosening up the chuck so the blank can be turned freely. You could use it for long wraps like underwraps to speed that process up, loosen the chuck and hand wrap small trim bands and such. He uses a tube and tape over the end of the blank and pushes it into a tube that is attached to the chuck which allows it to turn by hand. That works fairly well. A better solution would be to make a slip chuck that mounts into the drill chuck. Adjust the tension on the slip chuck and that would also allow you to turn by hand and also to build with a grip installed. A grip will not fit into the drill chuck anyway, so you will need some sort of chuck.

The Fishing Hobby

Here is a video about a slip clutch chuck I made a while back. Something like this mounted into the drill chuck would allow the grip end of a rod to mount to the drill and allow it to turn by hand also. If used for power wrapping, I'd skip the foam and drill and tap 3 holes in the PVC for screws to more securely hold the rod due to the thread tension while wrapping.

Rivverrat

Good stuff !  I'm wanting 3 separate lathes with slip clutch for finish & drying. So I will no longer have my main lathe tied up with drying rod. This will help greatly speed up my rod building process... Jeff 

The Fishing Hobby

Quote from: Rivverrat on December 31, 2019, 12:07:33 AM
Good stuff !  I'm wanting 3 separate lathes with slip clutch for finish & drying. So I will no longer have my main lathe tied up with drying rod. This will help greatly speed up my rod building process... Jeff 
I will be putting out a video in the near future about a different slip clutch chuck that is dead simple to make and inexpensive too. It was an idea I had a while back and just recently worked out the details on. It will probably be next week before I upload the video because my kids are out of school for Christmas break this week still. When I get the video together, I'll be sure to post a link in a new thread here in the Fishing Rod section.

Rivverrat

gstours

Thanks for reviving the wrapper posted idea as many ways to tie a herring.  The basic idea gets a person started and then refinements can be added as the money, time, tools, etc fill in the need.
     Happy new year 🎈 to all. 

The Fishing Hobby

Quote from: gstours on December 31, 2019, 08:33:35 PM
Thanks for reviving the wrapper posted idea as many ways to tie a herring.  The basic idea gets a person started and then refinements can be added as the money, time, tools, etc fill in the need.
     Happy new year 🎈 to all. 
Happy new year to you too!
I agree, and the video is a good way to get started for sure. A simple slip clutch chuck like I'm going to show how to make soon would be all you would need to chuck up a finished rod butt end into the setup and also solve the problem of the tight gearing of the drill. His solution of a tube and tape for a narrow diameter blank is a good one that would allow some friction while still being easier to turn by hand. A slip clutch chuck with different replaceable holders either like the one I'm going to show or the one flexcoat sells would be all you would need to do the larger diameter stuff.
I'll say this, he is using HDPE cutting boards for the v-notch rod blank supports. That is the same material I use for my hand wrapping jigs that I sell. It is perfect for rods because it is rigid but soft enough it won't scratch the blanks so there is no need to use felt like you would need on wooden supports. You would want to watch your speed because HDPE melts at a low temperature and friction from turning a blank too fast could heat up the supports enough to soften the plastic if spinning at a high rpm (which isn't needed for wrapping anyways).
Here are the hand wrapping jigs I sell. HDPE is really good stuff for this sort of thing.

gstours

The ideas here are simple enough for the common fisherperson, I likes the elastic over the rod holddown as it may prevent reverse rotation and make it easyier to stop whenever you want to for whatever reason.  The way a person approaches the diy project allows freedom and fun in a very useful manner.            Good Luck to everyone.