Calcutta 200A issues

Started by arro625, November 18, 2011, 07:43:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arro625

This is my first post but I've been reading this site for a while, it's definitely one of the best sites on the net mostly due to lots of very intelligent people offering great advice. I've got a Calcutta 200A which is having problems engaging when you press down on the thumb bar. Sometimes it seems to engage fine, other times you must really push down just a tad more to get the ratchet inside the reel to engage the spool. The spool will turn freely and so will the handle if it's not pushed down all the way. I'm fairly comfortable tearing down reels and nothing in the reel looks unusual, any advice would be greatly appreciated...thanks in advance

flyforfish21

Sounds familiar...

Off the top of my head i would check out the clutch bar A (bnt 3337), i've seen those get worn down by the spacer (bnt 1245) over time and it makes the thumb bar tough to push all the way. Sounds like the clutch pawl spring (bnt 1307) is good as it's getting into place, but that may be something to look at too.

I know some other guys will chime in, but those two things have been the most often pieces associated with your issue on what i've worked on so far.

Good luck!

Geoff

alantani

check for damage to the bar.  that's the most common cause.  it's tricky to replace. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

arro625

Thank you for the responses. I'm guessing the hard part is finding a replacement clutch bar. Is that what you meant Alan or did you mean the process?

alantani

the actual process of pulling the old one out is easy.  getting the new one in is a little tougher.  take photos cause it's going to go "boing."
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!